The Tooth -- Snow Lake/Summer route

SplashClimber

So there are two Alpental parking lots, upper & lower lots. To do the "summer approach" which parking lot is best to use? The lower or upper lot? Is it even possible to access Snow Lake trail via the upper lot? AND... is the upper lot sometimes closed off by the ski area?

(Summer approach -- by this I mean doing 1.5 miles of the Snow Lake tail, then diverging south, while staying east of Source Lake)

I have rooted around cascade climbers for some help on this, but often it is hard to detect which lot was used!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the summer approach, use the lower lot just below the gate, where the footbridge over to the ski lodge is. To my knowledge, though I haven't tried it, it would be a challenge to get across the creek & up to the trail from the upper lot. You'd waste whatever time you gained by driving to the furthest lot.

FWIW, I did the Tooth via the winter approach from the upper lot last Thursday, it was in good shape except for the gully leading up from Source Lake to the Basin. Lots of bottomless moats in the first drainage we were punching through, especially on the way out in the afternoon. The further one under Bryant (where the summer route heads up) was in better shape.