[TR] Stone Mountain NC - Hills into Mountains 6/17/2009

Trip: Stone Mountain NC - Hills into Mountains

Date: 6/17/2009

Trip Report:

My good friend and brother Luke recently flew over to North Carolina for a much-to-brief visit. As an avid climber, I knew that he would want to sample some East Coast rock and Stone Mountain would be just the ticket.

This 600' granite dome is reminiscent of the Cascade’s Static Point, though with a greater variety of routes, and generally longer run-outs.

To make things more interesting we invited along two climber friends of mine, and challenged them to see who could climb the most routes in 5 hours. I knew my brother would make an ideal partner for such an adventure, having recently climb Baker and Eldorado, and being fresh off a strong finish at the North Face Endurance Challenge Half-Marathon.

We started up the first pitch just before 11, and met back at the grassy meadow at 4pm, having climbed 4 routes totaling 16 pitches.

Stone Mountain, North Carolina

12-14-08.JPG

1. Grand Funk Railroad (5 pitches 5.9)

stoneMTrace_001.jpg

2. The Pulpit (5 pitches 5.8)

stoneMTrace_010.jpg

stoneMTrace_026.jpg

3. The Great Arch (3 pitches 5.5)

stoneMTrace_040.jpg

4. Yardarm (3 pitchs 5.8)

stoneMTrace_046.jpg

stoneMTrace_050.jpg

Lukey loosening up the day before while Logan looks on

june1_080.jpg

Thanks for coming out bro!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!! All of those routes are classic lines!!!

I have this great memory of Stone: we were tying in at the base of a route when this redneck with a bulging gut walks up next to us and drops his pack. In a thick southern drawl he said, "I love climbing slab because I can climb it with a beer belly." He then proceeded to float up run-out 5.9. :brew:

Awesome. Closer to Asheville, I'd also recommend Linville Gorge. It has several climbing areas and some great classics. It's also some of the most dramatic terrain you'll find on the east coast.

If you're looking for stuff that's technically difficult and long (10+ pitches), Whiteside Mountain southwest of Asheville has some of the most challenging and dangerous climbing in the south. The first pitch of the "standard" route is an entirely unprotected 5.7 or 5.8.

I've never climbed there, but it's the goal I'm working towards.