Boston Basin Conditions

PLC

I'm going to climb Forbidden on Friday, and I'm wondering about footwear... does anyone know how much snow is left in the basin? How's the couloir look?

I'd like to wear trail runners with aluminium crampons, but I don't want to have to bail if the couloir requires climbing boots.

I'm also hoping to just use my bivy sack, but if there's still a ton of snow, I'll bring a tent.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My input, which is worth what you paid for it, is that there is still considerable amounts of snow up there. On the Eldorado approach we hit snow a week ago monday at about 5,000ft. I was glad to be in my mountaineering boots, but I wasn't doing any fifth class climbing either...

Sorry if that is not much help. Have fun and post a tr.

If you need to bring heavy boots for the gulley, consider descending the w ridge which will allow you to stash the boots at the ridge. The one time I was there, it seemed reasonable to descend the ridge and gulley. We rapped off moat bollards for the gulley. Just a thought. I have never gone down the e ledges descent.

I bailed on Boston Basin due to the weather forecast and climbed at Washington Pass, instead. So, no updated on snow levels from me...

However, if anyone is headed to climb Liberty Bell, the trail has been destroyed by a massive avalanche. When you come to the the debris, don't try to cross it - just head straight uphill through the trees to the left of the avalanche path. You'll come across the trail again in just a few minutes: the avalanche hit the trail right at a big switchback.

• 2 months later...
i did the west ridge saturday. trail runners and light crampons will work, i didnt even take crampons or an ice axe. we took the gully to the west of the couloir to the ridge notch. the couloir is pretty well melted out. there is good rap stations down the gully too. look for my TR.

would it be feasible car-to-car with a predawn start?

Sure, That is the way I did Forbidden the first time. Took the 4th class gully to the west of the main normal 1st ascent gulley. Once you get out of that west gulley its easy 3rd class terrain to the ridge then 4th on the ridge with a couple moves of low fifth on the upper ridge itself.

Brian