where can we crash if camp 4 is full?

markwebster

I had a good luck (several times ) camping right off the Leaning tower parking lot or wondering to the side after the 2ed talus field on the approach(when u go to stash some water on the catwalk…just bring sleeping bag and pad…I stayed as long as 5 nights in that area with no one bothering me…usually if u cool with the rangers they are cool back at ya…or maybe it is my East Coast attitude that does it ….who knows

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the ditch last week and got some first hand info from a backcountry ranger.

He said this year they are up from 10 to 40 backcountry rangers, and now have 4 "climbing rangers" to help "bridge the gap" between climbers and rangers. Apparently there is something stimulating the NP economy.

This lead to some interesting conversation, but in a nutshell they are going to request that wallers do not bivy on the ground at the base of walls-especially El Cap, and that you need to be a pitch up. Half Dome was still fine to base bivy (what we did).

Just going off something I read a while back, but the ticket for being in camp 4 and getting caught-$175. and camping somewhere that you would never actually get caught, like leaning tower parking- $90. easy decision for me.

I guess like anything else conditions changed so a bungalow in camp curry (if lucky) or room from one of the motels on the way will be in order…much rather give them $90 and take advantage on their amenities…well u out of luck there…no room in camp 4 start driving around to the surrounding campsites or motels

Spent three nights sleeping amongst the boulders below the Apron back in the late 90's. We walked from the Curry parking lot after dark with only bags and water bottles and were back to the car by early dawn. Surreptitious and clandestine is the key.

The New York Times just did a spread in their travel section about visiting national parks. Under the Yosemite section, they actually recommended Camp 4, including advice to line up at 6:00 AM. I can only imagine the city slickers response to the bathroom hygiene and general mayhem of Camp 4.

For our trip this Sept, I just booked a few nights in a Curry Village tent cabin for $74 per night, so we can pull in late and get climbing without any worry. We'll head over to Camp 4 early on Monday morning and I doubt we'll have a problem getting a spot for the rest of the week.

Be very careful bandit camping. When I was there last year we saw a few groups getting pulled out of the woods. Ejected and fined no doubt.

I have waited in line at Camp Four next to a Boy George lookalike (and this was in 2002, not in the 80s), and also watched a well-scrubbed black suburban family set up their four-room discount store tent while their adorable children played next to the shirtless tattooed 23-year-old going through the recycling and drinking the last few swallows of everyone's beer and vodka at 8:30 am. Camp 4 welcomes everyone.