Back clipping?

billcoe

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Justin Sjong's wife took a huge wipper off of Chronic a couple of years ago after she backclipped, she knew she had backclipped so screamed while she was falling. It was pretty scary to watch, I thought a bolt had popped at first!

I've never bought into the quick draw revolution. Those things are short and rigid and led to the issue of backclipping. Since I primarily lead trad, I carry alpine slings only. When I am sport climbing, I triple up my alpine slings. It makes for a more flexible "quick draw" that is less prone to a "back clip" situation because it is not rigid. I also don't buy bent gate biniers, and I've stopped buying wire gates (wired nuts are prone to falling off wire gates do to the equal mass of the two wires).

This is just my opinion, has not been tested, but it makes sense for a number of reasons to my simple mind. That said, I do pay careful attention to how my gates are pointed related to the direction of the rope travel as I move past them up the cliff. I try to keep the rope away from the gate.

I also have stopped buying shoestring alpine slings. Those things tangle in a heartbeat. 9/16" sewn webbing is half the price and lasts twice as long...and it comes in colors!

Edited by markwebster

I've never bought into the quick draw revolution. Those things are short and rigid and led to the issue of backclipping. Since I primarily lead trad, I carry alpine slings only. When I am sport climbing, I triple up my alpine slings. It makes for a more flexible "quick draw" that is less prone to a "back clip" situation because it is not rigid. I also don't buy bent gate biniers, and I've stopped buying wire gates (wired nuts are prone to falling off wire gates do to the equal mass of the two wires).

This is just my opinion, has not been tested, but it makes sense for a number of reasons to my simple mind. That said, I do pay careful attention to how my gates are pointed related to the direction of the rope travel as I move past them up the cliff. I try to keep the rope away from the gate.

I also have stopped buying shoestring alpine slings. Those things tangle in a heartbeat. 9/16" sewn webbing is half the price and lasts twice as long...and it comes in colors!

WTF are you talking about? Wire nuts are prone to falling off of wire gates?? quit smokin' crack and climb it instead... :rolleyes:

You'd better update your signature; I think you're regressing. :poke:

I have witnessed a backclip unclipping- it is scary and a real danger for sport climbers. Of course Raindawg and pope and others have their own solution: don't clip bolts! But trad has its own dangers...

It is all "good" as long as we all practice due diligence in the part of climbing we like best.

The best backclip is the one having the most fun, right Gspotter?

And BTW, the hair doesn't go all the way to the back first but pauses to make a deposit in ears and nostrils.

Edited by matt_warfield

This coming December will mark the 10 year anniversary of my undergraduate (only graduate) achievement. I could have been somebody, ya know, like some big time war correspondent watching the capital city of the Tuskan Warriors light up like Atari's Missle Command. Instead I carried my bong and my snowboard to the Green Mountains of VT and began what my Mother would call "the backclipping of my life"--if she had a working knowledge of a climber's lexicon.

This confessional has been brought to you by a brief lunch reprieve from tuning skis.

the wire gates/wired stopper situation I was referring to was when you are desperately trying to grab the binier off your rack that has a bunch of wired stoppers on it. You are trying to get it off the rack so you can experiment with different stoppers in the crack. Because you racked 5 wired stoppers on a wire gate binier, as you rotate the binier around, the mass of the wires on the wired stoppers is approximately equal to the mass and resistance of the springy gate. I've dropped stoppers this way. They simply fall off the wired gate binier.

I was not referring to whether wire gates are good or bad in general use, just in racking nuts. I now always rack on solid gate keylock carabiniers.

But thank you for suggesting I smoke crack. I need a new vice and haven't tried that one yet. I'm going to miss this board. Perhaps I can log in from the cafeteria in Yosemite :-) Don't want to miss any abuse.

Because you racked 5 wired stoppers on a wire gate binier, as you rotate the binier around, the mass of the wires on the wired stoppers is approximately equal to the mass and resistance of the springy gate. I've dropped stoppers this way. They simply fall off the wired gate binier.

RACKING - UR DOIN IT WRONG