Down Vest...Do you wear one while climbing?

Dhamma

I have a FF Volant Jacket as a belay/at night after stopped jacket, but its much too warm to climb in. I have a North Face Nuptse vest I use to climb and its great for keeping my core warm while allowing my pits to vent insteal of wearing a softshell. I just bring this vest, a baselayer and an Arcteryx hardshell instead of bringing a softshell. Curious in hearing others opinions!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

?????? You climb in a down vest? You must have no metabolism as any living human would sweat to death in anything down in the summer. Or winter or anything less than 20,000 ft for that matter.

I disagree with that. I climbed the last 2000 feet of Rainier wearing a down jacket AND a wind shell over it, and that was in the summer and I was STILL a little cold. And that was during the summer....I wasn't the only one doing this either; the wind was good at stealing heat that day.

I have a WM down vest -- but I found that I sweat too much while wearing it & as a result it was getting wet and not drying out. I have a big down jacket I'll throw over everything if I'm really cold (but i don't carry it unless it's below 10). My wife climbs in a synthetic vest & really likes it.