Down Clothing Layer Question

Dhamma

I'm on my second Arcteryx Theta AR jacket and, after a recent trip in the high sierras left me freezign in my 5 year old north face nuptse vest, I upgraded to a feathered friends volant jacket with hood. I just tried on the xl Volant jacket under the large arcteryx hard shell and its pretty tight. I think it may be reducing some of the loft of the down jacket. i could possibly exchange the large arcteryx jacket for an Xl since i bought at REI, but then the xl would probably be huge on me at any other time i wasn't wearing the down jacket. opinions? advice?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stay with what you've got, so long as the FF Volant fits well over the Arcteryx shell. Since puffy layers are usually only worn at rests/belays or around camp, it's easiest to just throw it on over everything. It's also warmer that way: no loft compression, and the major contributor is no loss of warmth due to taking off your shell prior to putting on more insulation.

I used to buy shells to fit over puffies, but then they are too loose for activity. Now I buy shells to fit perfectly over a midlayer, and I buy my puffy jacket to fit over the shell easily.

• 1 month later...

If its raining why do you have a down jacket on and moving? You will be in camp. If you are moving you will never have a down jacket on because u will be sweating faster than a pig dodging the butcher. If you are moving and its raining... getting out of dodge... then your rain jacket over medium layer will be more than warm enough, probably will take it off and you will be dryer and warmer.

If snowing and moving a medium layer and a waterproof will be plenty, unless in maybe alaska... In which case the layering system is completely different than down here. Snow will blow right off the volant jacket to boot. Eventually if it is close to freezing then some of the snow will melt and penetrate the volant... I have its kid brother. ANyways, if its snowing and you are moving you won't be wearing down either because you will sweat it out and make it useless. Down is to be used in camp only.

One can argue that if you are traveling very light then you should not carry down at all since if you are cold get in your sleeping bag when the weather is bad. If winter time and camping with a tarp then down clothing is great!

Brian