• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jshamster

Kautz conditions 6/7/09

Climbed the Kautz over the weekend.

Route is in excellent condition. Approx. 120 meters of 65 degree ice at 12K.

Approach is pretty chill. DO NOT use the Fan approach. Scary amount of rockfall coming down that bitch. Nisqually and Wilson glaciers are still in great shape. We bivied pretty low at 9400', Wilson Beach. Running water here, but I would boil/filter. Please camp on snow, and use dry land for lounging/bouldering only.

Cheers.

Jimbo

Good news! Is the Wilson Beach bivi the one just below the Turtle? What's this talk of a rap from Camp Hazard down to the Kautz? Anchors? In years past it was just a scramble......I have a couple buddies heading up 6/13 so was wondering. Thanks Jimbo.

Yep. Wilson Beach is below Turtle.

No rap. Hand lines in place for the scramble. Nice to have a prussik on there as the corner is awkward with a pack on. Pretty simple.

Cheers.

Jimbo

Heard from my buddies who summitted today. (Love the cell service up there). They solo'd the ice pitches on the Kautz cuz it was too soft for screws. Bluebird day with a sea of clouds below, water at "Wilson Beach" as mentioned prev. One day of rest and then they're off to hit Stuart. Damn to be in my 20's again..........

Oh yeah they agreed with Jimbo's assessment of the "Fan" or Hourglass, they said it looked horrible up there, stay on the west edge of the Wilson.