Uptight Seattle-ite

Pete_H

Some self-righteous cow-looking lady in a Prius yelled at me this morning for running a few red lights on my bike on my way to work. She said "Don't you know you ran three red lights! Why don't you try obeying the law!"

I said "Mind your own business. Why don't you try shutting the fuck up."

She sure was riled up. I thought it was pretty funny.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some self-righteous cow-looking lady in a Prius yelled at me this morning for running a few red lights on my bike on my way to work. She said "Don't you know you ran three red lights! Why don't you try obeying the law!"

Usually people get riled up when you tell them to STFU.

As a regular bike rider, I spend a fair amount of time considering the car/bike (actually, the driver/rider) interaction.

On one hand, I appreciate people following the rules because, as a rider, I hope drivers follow the rules and avoid killing me. I think it's reasonable to expect everyone (bikes included) to play along.

On the other hand, bikes don't run into cars and kill the driver instantly. Yeah, fiars fair, but even as a cyclist, I don't really care so much that drivers follow the rules, but more that they are respectful (e.g. don't cut me off) and don't kill me.

Overall, I usually follow the rules (e.g. stop at stop lights) unless the area is free of irritatable Prius drivers. Don't you know cars just make people grumpy?

I generally agree with Max. I don't run lights at crowded intersections or cut people off, or generally act obnoxious, etc. Sometimes, I'll squeek past a red light if there are no cars on the horizon at all. The way I see it, cyclists are at enough of a disadvantage compared to motor vehicles that they need to leverage their advantage somehow. It's not like I cut off the gal in the Prius or anything, she was behind me the whole time.

You haven't lived, as a bike commuter in Seattle, until one of your fellow cyclists rolls up to you at an intersection and delivers the same sermon.

Seems like most motorists that deliver those lines are more than happy to see you grinding up a hill at 5mph on the sidewalk instead of obstructing traffic...

Usually people get riled up when you tell them to STFU.

At 1:30AM, the cops started piling into the strip joint to bust the exotic dancer. Being a fair piece along the path to inebriation, involuntarily, I made a somewhat serpentine escape out the front door. Sitting in a cruiser at the curb was the cop who had pulled me over while I rode my bike three times previously. I made the mistake of engaging him in conversation which ended when I told him to, "Fuck off."

It riled him.