Stolen gear? Not accusing, just suspicious.

Bug

wasn't doing this sorta shit the ONE thing that OJ actually got sent to jail for?

Contrary to my post regarding the gun, I'm not saying ice the dude and any innocent people that happen to be there. Hell, the seller might even be innocent. My point is, from my own experience with stolen vehicles (obviously not climbing gear), the cops consider this type of thing to be very low on the critical scale. Honestly, how can either one of them prove the stuff is his?

Maybe respond to the seller, and get some personal info from him like a phone number or address. Then if he trully is a thief, tell him to give back the stuff, or you'll turn him in - maybe you can get your stuff back this way.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasn't doing this sorta shit the ONE thing that OJ actually got sent to jail for?

Contrary to my post regarding the gun, I'm not saying ice the dude and any innocent people that happen to be there..

that's not what got oj canned - remember this? http://www.newser.com/article/d98i23a00/memorabilia-that-put-oj-simpson-in-prison-returned-to-california-likely-to-be-auctioned.html

I doubt this dude is the guy who stole the stuff, and is probably just some idiot who bought it for cheap in the pawn shop thinking climbing gear is cool to own. People who steal stuff do it for usually one thing.. quick money, usually for drugs. I would contact the guy, tell him it's your stolen stuff and see what he says. Maybe he will negotiate it's return to you. If not then drop it. The police won't do a thing. Do you really want this stuff back not knowing what has been done with it the last 4 years?

what's remarkable is that, from the photographs, people would think that it's his gear from 5 years ago...despite the fact that the gear list in his post from 5 years ago only matches about 1/3 of the items in the photos.

people need to chill - sure, this stuff looks stolen, and the pawn shop story sounds bunk, but to think that it's pindude's gear is really reaching...

Just got back to the webs after a full day of work with a little intermission to take care of this personal business--glad I didn't see any of these replies until now. Judging by the posts here, I've got a good idea of who I'd like to climb with and who I wouldn't. And I'm damn glad I didn't follow most of this "advice." :battlecage:

Off and Jon were the most right on. On the other hand, Hemp and Rob, what can I say: you guys deserve each other.

I live in far eastern WA. I do some work on the west side, but it's only a few days out of the year. By serendipity, I got a call early yesterday evening from my boss to do some last-moment work on the Olympic Penninsula happening early tomorrow. Means a travel afternoon today and taking the Kingston ferry. Later yesterday evening, I also got a heads-up to check out Bug's post on cc.com.

Long story short, the craigslist seller is a good, honest guy. I stopped by his place on my way to the ferry. He just graduated from college, and bought the gear on the way back to his boyhood home where he's just visiting for a few days before heading out to job-hunt. He has good reasons for not re-taking up climbing and selling what he bought from the Boise pawnshop--reasons which I respect.

Most of the gear the seller had was indeed mine. He readily gave my stuff back to me, and in turn I gave him a modest financial reward that at least covered his costs.

The climbing world really is not that big, and I thought that some day I'd see at least some of my shit. Didn't think it would take 5 years and then the stars would suddenly align with the timing such that I had to go out of my way by only a few city blocks like I did, 300 miles away from home.

I also received from the seller a copy of his receipt from the Boise pawnshop. I have at least one or two detective friends, and am following that up--I'll let you all know.

Meanwhile, I'll be engraving all my gear with my initials at least so others know it's mine. I knew most of the gear in the seller's photos was mine not just because I could recognize individual pieces, but the mix of those individual pieces: O-P oval and REI anodized locking screwgate from mid-80s, 2004 Camalots (there was a whole set of BRAND NEW ones from 0.1 to 4), the TCU, the Alien with the tweaked lobes (tweaked from my own use), and the belay device combo of the Reverso, Gri-Gri, and silver-anodized ATC. One biner still had some of my original tape on it.

What I got back from the seller was just a fraction of what I lost with the crag pack, which was stuffed. I don't expect to get any more back, but I'll at least follow the current lead with the possibility of tracking down the original thief.

Like I said, the craiglist seller is a stand-up guy. If any of you know of any available jobs suitable for an intelligent, honest Journalism major, let me know. And he still has to sell some well-used but servicable Camalots (2-#3's and a #2), and a couple BD stoppers.

--Steve

Hey man, no hard feelings. I'm glad you got some of your gear back. It's great that you still have such detailed memory of the gear that was lost back then. I was more surprised at the apparent lynch mob that was forming without much substantial evidence that it was your stolen gear.

for what it's worth, the reason for the skepticism is from comparing the gear in the photos to the gear in your 2004 post.

O-P oval and REI anodized locking screwgate from mid-80s, 2004 Camalots (there was a whole set of BRAND NEW ones from 0.1 to 4), the TCU, the Alien with the tweaked lobes (tweaked from my own use), and the belay device combo of the Reverso, Gri-Gri, and silver-anodized ATC.
....versus....
- one set Camalots, 0.1 - 4.0, mostly newer single stems (# 0.5. 0.75, 4.0 were older double stems)

- one set mostly older WC Rocks

- 15 quickdraws on purple Spectra 11" slings, and a few Petzl bones

- half dozen-plus locking biners for TR set-ups

- half dozen runners including 4 newer yellow Mammut

- 3-4 lengths of TR webbing

- old Grigri

Almost all the biners were newer BD: Mostly Neutrinos, a bunch of HotWires, 6 Positrons (BD's standard keylock that came out new last year), 6 or so OvalWires, 6 or so lockers.

Most of what you got back (reverso, ATC, alien, TCU, REI & OP biners) wasn't in that original post.

hopefully you'll understand the reason for doubt...

cheers

Just got back to the webs after a full day of work with a little intermission to take care of this personal business--glad I didn't see any of these replies until now. Judging by the posts here, I've got a good idea of who I'd like to climb with and who I wouldn't. And I'm damn glad I didn't follow most of this "advice." :battlecage:

Off and Jon were the most right on. On the other hand, Hemp and Rob, what can I say: you guys deserve each other.

I live in far eastern WA. I do some work on the west side, but it's only a few days out of the year. By serendipity, I got a call early yesterday evening from my boss to do some last-moment work on the Olympic Penninsula happening early tomorrow. Means a travel afternoon today and taking the Kingston ferry. Later yesterday evening, I also got a heads-up to check out Bug's post on cc.com.

Long story short, the craigslist seller is a good, honest guy. I stopped by his place on my way to the ferry. He just graduated from college, and bought the gear on the way back to his boyhood home where he's just visiting for a few days before heading out to job-hunt. He has good reasons for not re-taking up climbing and selling what he bought from the Boise pawnshop--reasons which I respect.

Most of the gear the seller had was indeed mine. He readily gave my stuff back to me, and in turn I gave him a modest financial reward that at least covered his costs.

The climbing world really is not that big, and I thought that some day I'd see at least some of my shit. Didn't think it would take 5 years and then the stars would suddenly align with the timing such that I had to go out of my way by only a few city blocks like I did, 300 miles away from home.

I also received from the seller a copy of his receipt from the Boise pawnshop. I have at least one or two detective friends, and am following that up--I'll let you all know.

Meanwhile, I'll be engraving all my gear with my initials at least so others know it's mine. I knew most of the gear in the seller's photos was mine not just because I could recognize individual pieces, but the mix of those individual pieces: O-P oval and REI anodized locking screwgate from mid-80s, 2004 Camalots (there was a whole set of BRAND NEW ones from 0.1 to 4), the TCU, the Alien with the tweaked lobes (tweaked from my own use), and the belay device combo of the Reverso, Gri-Gri, and silver-anodized ATC. One biner still had some of my original tape on it.

What I got back from the seller was just a fraction of what I lost with the crag pack, which was stuffed. I don't expect to get any more back, but I'll at least follow the current lead with the possibility of tracking down the original thief.

Like I said, the craiglist seller is a stand-up guy. If any of you know of any available jobs suitable for an intelligent, honest Journalism major, let me know. And he still has to sell some well-used but servicable Camalots (2-#3's and a #2), and a couple BD stoppers.

--Steve

:tup:

You are a good man Mr. Pindude. Way to be vigilant Bug.

And you have very good reason to be. Each individual item in those two pictures brings back a flood of memories. Without question, that is just some of the gear stolen with my crag pack five years ago from Minnehaha: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/331327/Searchpage/1/Main/22928/Words/stolen/Search/true/Re_My_crag_pack_stolen_from_Mi#Post331327

Bug, thank you very much. Not sure what course of action I can take, or should take, if any.

I had all my gear stolen out of my car in Portland Oregon and files a police report.

The police told me if I saw any of my gear I could just take it back because I filed a police report.

Hope that helps.

Plaidman

Hemp and Rob: I'd probably still climb with you guys. Have to return the digs when the opportunity exists. After all, this is cc.com.

On that note, Ivan, I do have a lead. :lmao: And I have a #11 Hex just for you. ;) Hoping the Boise cops are better than The Dude's cops.

Hemp, I can understand the skepticism. That list I posted on cc.com was the first one I put together when I was still ragin', spittin' mad, and wasn't meant to include every single little item. That crag pack was absolutely stuffed with a ton of gear including shit for multiple TR setups as well as a big lead rack. Even the more fleshed-out and detailed list I submitted to the cops and insurance (2-page spreadsheet) missed quite a few individual items, biggest of which were my gray, purple, blue, and yellow TCUs--which I realized soon afterwards.

Any real climber should know their gear about as well as the back of their hands. Amazing how photos of it will open the floodgates of memories. I didn't have real identification photos back then, but now I try to take photos of everything for insurance purposes.

Jim, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

Thanks again to Bug and everyone for the support. We really are a fairly small community in the scheme of things.

I had all my gear stolen out of my car in Portland Oregon and files a police report.

The police told me if I saw any of my gear I could just take it back because I filed a police report.

Hope that helps.

Plaidman

Can I file a police report saying an REI employee took all my BRAND NEW gear with tags still on it? I'm sure I could have that returned pretty easily.