Stolen gear? Not accusing, just suspicious.

Bug

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you have very good reason to be. Each individual item in those two pictures brings back a flood of memories. Without question, that is just some of the gear stolen with my crag pack five years ago from Minnehaha: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/331327/Searchpage/1/Main/22928/Words/stolen/Search/true/Re_My_crag_pack_stolen_from_Mi#Post331327

Bug, thank you very much. Not sure what course of action I can take, or should take, if any.

I agree, get those SOB's. Among other things, a wedding ring... come on. One thing to think about though, what if the people who stole from you offloaded your gear in Boise and then this guy happened to pick it up as a set. Just consider that before you throw your first punch.

I agree, get those SOB's. Among other things, a wedding ring... come on. One thing to think about though, what if the people who stole from you offloaded your gear in Boise and then this guy happened to pick it up as a set. Just consider that before you throw your first punch.

His story is bullshit. Think it through. Who buys three belay devices because they "are thinking of getting back into climbing"?

Punch first, ask questions later.

I don't get the impression that our Pindude is the vigilante sort, but Steve should definitely pursue some legal action. The story smells funny, but the time lag is a little bizarre. I'd say get contact info from the craigslist poster and have a conversation with local law enforcement regarding how to proceed. Intimidation and recovery is an option, but better to bring big friends rather than a baseball bat, I'm sure a Seattle area posse could be assembled. What's Dane up to? Assaulting a scummy thief is still assault though, unless you catch them in your house.

I saw this too, and thought it suspicious. Brings up the point - mark all your gear with your initials. If it's not marked the cops won't do anything (they probably won't do anything anyway). At least if your initials on on the stuff you can take your gear back from the dude, regardless if he indeed did buy it at a pawn shop in Anus, Alabama.

If he did buy at a Pawn Shop, he will have a reciept. Or at least a date of purchase and store info. Pawn shops have to keep detailed records of who "pawns" or sells items outright to help fight the sale of stolen goods. If the pawn shop sold the goods to him, they have a record of where they bought it and when. Get all Columbo and get info, provide to authorities... etc.

If the guy doesn't have a reciept and stumbles when you try to get the pawn shop info, then you know he's full of BS, at which time you can do an OJ and go get what is yours (but for real this time , haha). I would scare him in to giving it back. Explain the situation as you are looking at your gear and call the cops with him right there. He won't want the trouble, I can tell you that...

So, let me sum-up. Either this guy stole this all 5 years ago, and he's been laying low for 5 years to throw off the trail (!) before selling it. That takes dedication, especially making up the fake pawn-shop story after 5 years (!!). Weird.

OR he bought it from a pawn shop and it's been sitting in the pawn shop for 5 years???

OR we expect the pawn shop to have records of where they bought this stuff from 5 years ago???

OR it's travelled from pawn shop to pawn shop and somehow managed to stay together?

Hmm. Stranger and stranger. I love how we're talking about showing up at his door and throwing the first punch.

Why are we so sure this is pindude's stuff, again? How can we be sure "without question!"??

This whole thing is bizarre. Let me know how the fist-fight goes.

Edited by rob

As a first course of action, I would contact local law enforcement. I would gather as much proof as possible that you owned the gear, such as the lists you emailed around after the gear was originally stolen. Hopefully you also filed a police report at the time. Law enforcement might not do anything about it, but its worth a try.

If that doesn't prove to be fruitfull and you're still really pissed about losing the gear, then I'd consider going to the dude's house and kicking him in the nuts.

And you have very good reason to be. Each individual item in those two pictures brings back a flood of memories. Without question, that is just some of the gear stolen with my crag pack five years ago from Minnehaha: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/331327/Searchpage/1/Main/22928/Words/stolen/Search/true/Re_My_crag_pack_stolen_from_Mi#Post331327

Bug, thank you very much. Not sure what course of action I can take, or should take, if any.

Ditto - call the police non-emergency line!!! Immediately. It could very well be they have other stolen items, and if they bought it used, the police can verify or follow it to the pawn shop in Boise to see who brought it in. Wow!

Ad says:

Rock climbing cams and a few others - $200 (Shoreline)

Reply to: sale-n6pqd-1213648852@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Date: 2009-06-09, 2:50PM PDT

I picked this rack up at a pawn shop in Boise last week thinking I would get back into climbing. But I probably wont. So now I've got to get rid of this stuff. It's all seen some pretty heavy use, but I don't know any specifics or what kind of falls have been taken on it. It's on you to inspect everything and know how to use it safely.

I live at 14526 Interlake Ave N in Shoreline and I'll be around all night. Drop by if you like--first come first served. Ask for Jackson. Cash only.

Oh, and this is a package deal--I won't split this up.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3nc3mf3odZZZZZZZZZ9690be76339702f1570.jpg

3n83pc3l9ZZZZZZZZZ96905982f01637c1f58.jpg

BTW, I've taken to marking my slings, like those on the cams, with my ODL number for later id if they get stolen. No pawn shop will take them, and thief's who are pros recognize that they will NOT be able to easily resell, AND they are traceable (jailable) and I like to think they are less likely to be stolen.

Good luck dude!

I wouldn't even waste my time calling the cops. If they don't follow up on stolen cars, they're not gonna give a shit about a few pieces of stolen hardware. Just the simple truth.

If you're sure its yours, and you want to get it back. Contact the seller, see how sketch the story really is. Then, show up with a few friends and take your stuff back. What's he going to do, call the cops and tell him someone stole his stolen stuff back?

The cops will F*n laugh if you call them. They'll say come on down and file a report, blah, blah, oink, oink!

I wouldn't even waste my time calling the cops. If they don't follow up on stolen cars, they're not gonna give a shit about a few pieces of stolen hardware. Just the simple truth.

If you're sure its yours, and you want to get it back. Contact the seller, see how sketch the story really is. Then, show up with a few friends and take your stuff back. What's he going to do, call the cops and tell him someone stole his stolen stuff back?

The cops will F*n laugh if you call them. They'll say come on down and file a report, blah, blah, oink, oink!

wasn't doing this sorta shit the ONE thing that OJ actually got sent to jail for?

Problem with recovering mass produced items is that there is usually no way to prove it is the one you lost. Learned this the hard way in Van, BC when the bums stole my Burton Custom,loved that board. Having your DL on there or writing down the serial number or something would help.

Po po probably won't do a bunch of investigating but if you can lead them to the bandit then they may help.

Then there is the issue on the innocent third party. They probably get to keep the stuff.

And, this dude may be innocent. I figure most folks have at least three belays devices. A gri, an autoblock and a back up in case you drop your autoblock from the 10th pitch of some wall. Clearly the original owner had them when his shit got got.