[TR] Yosemite and Carson Pass - Valley Meadow Frolick and Round Top Ski 6/9/2009

powdherb

Trip: Yosemite and Carson Pass - Valley Meadow Frolick and Round Top Ski

Date: 6/9/2009

Trip Report:

Though this TR contains little if any climbing, I thought you guys might like to see some nice pictures and some late season skiing. If I'm wrong, feel free to ostracize me. This is a cross post from TGR but maybe you guys can answer my final question. I would really like to get back to that place with some competent climbers..because I'm not very.

After moving to Tahoe a few weeks ago to make a summer wage and support my return to The Continent I have been touched by images of local mountains and distant gorges that reputedly contain magnificent granite climbing and overall meadow-skipping goodness.

The other day my detachment and I went to yosemite to sample some wine and observe some big walls. That place is nice. After 5 days of piss-poor weather I headed to carson pass to try out my new Praxis skis.

A large carnivore right before it attacked my bullets.

DSC_0777.jpg

Holy damn

DSC_0800.jpg

DSC_0804.jpg

The next day I just HAD to go up there and check that thing out.

DSC_0826.jpg

DSC_0839.jpg

Liz gets in the THE SHOT

DSC_0846.jpg

There are so many perches in Yosemite. I think someone called the police on me here.

DSC_0851.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

Big Wallz.

DSC_0861.jpg

I sought this meadow for a evening frolick. It delivered.

DSC_0878.jpg

DSC_0880.jpg

DSC_0881.jpg

DSC_0886.jpg

Then we went to Glacier Point for some Wine-Tasting. I threw up.

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0912.jpg

DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_0922.jpg

DSC_0930.jpg

A couple days later I went in search of some radness to slide down. Carson Pass was the closest thing I could find. Fresh snow provided a smooth and somewhat creamy surface. I skied the couloir to the lookers left on this mountain. Round Top?

P1010289.jpg

When I got down I realized that the central couloir went all the way to the top. From where I was standing it looked like it was blocked about half way.

P1010291.jpg

P1010284.jpg

California is nice. But answer me this: why does a pizza cost 20 fucking dollars wherever you go in this state?

Gear Notes:

.22 Caliber Rifle to scare bears and Long Range (LR) Ammo

2 x .75L Foxbrook (bottles) 2007 Vintage

Toilet Paper

Airsick Bags

Edited by powdherb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That view down the falls is a great shot, was that Yosemite Falls? Thanks for the pics. You got around to some nice perches. Was this last week? We probably overlapped, did you enjoy some sweet afternoon thunderstorm activity?

Edit: ahh, I see the shot down the falls is Nevada Falls, splendid perspective. I bet more than one child passerby got a lecture from the parental units when they spied your antics.

Edited by Off_White

Excellent pics! :)

Ditto, awesome pictures in fact.

Now about tossing bullets towards bears....one word for the graduate, if you feel the need for self defense as bears rarely bother anyone:

bear-spray-collage.jpg

Bearmace.

Or just toss a rock, all but the most habituated bears will run like hell.

• 2 weeks later...