Mount Spickard via Depot Creek?

BackcountryBrass

Anyone been out that way lately or plan on going? Headed up in August, just wondering about the road conditions and any trail beta.

Also, most reports say you can cross back into the US without problems and to tell the folks at the border crossing you are going to climb Slesse or something in Canada.

Thinking of skipping the NCNP permit since you have to pick it up in Marblemount, which is out of the way and I am on a short time table. Anyone seen rangers enforcing the permits in the area? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Matt

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did redoubt last summer via depot creek and likely will be back at the end of this month so look for a tr (check out my tr from last summer for something like details mixed in w/ a large measure of insanity) - the trail is there but requires faith to stay on at times - the first part of road-walking is a giant pain in the ass if you're above 6 foot as you spend practically all of your time hiking bent over to stay under the saplings - once on the trail by the river, under no circumstances CROSS the river (ha!)

no worries about rangers enforcing shit up depot - i think i've gotten a permit for the park on maybe 1 occasion? when in doubt, only speak in russian or whateverother heathen tongue you can manage. that said, its usually b/c i'm not making decisions until the last minute or wildly inebriated and going to the ranger station is an inconvenience, you can probably get one via the phone/interwubs well in advance (kelly the ranger hangs out on this board a bit i believe)

enjoy the final bit of road to the trailhead - bring your dramine or any other anti-nasuea formula - it's wicked rough! look out for wild-eyed serbians brandishing molotov cocktails as well (or at least bring cigs to dissuade them with :) )

Ivan

Thanks for the info, looking forward to the report. FYI:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/877927/Chilliwack_Lake_Road_Blocked#Post877927

Hopefully they will fix the road before your trip. Do you have any tips for staying on the trail during the bushwack from the Canadian border to Depot Falls? Straightforward enough if you pay close attention or an all out shitfest that is really difficult to follow?

wow - thanks for the link - maybe i'll just take a shitty car and ram it? :)

the advice, once you pass the monument and hit the creek, is just stay on the left side of the creek and have faith - it will totally dissappear at times, and occasionally you'll even have to wander uphill a bit, but it's there - eventually it will end at a giant waterfall, where the trail finding gets kinda simpler :) don't be like tvash and fuck up early on and walk for 5 miles in the wrong direction on the overgrown forest roads!

Thanks for the info. I sent out an email to Chilliwack Provincial Park for a road update, I will post here if I get any response out of them. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon, otherwise I will have to rip off my boss's car and plow through the boulder, then ditch it in Chilliwack Lake...Sounds like a lot of work, but who really wants to walk an extra 10k.

Don't listen to Ivan about the road being difficult for tall people...I've carried skis in there. ;)

It's the Serbians that are the most frightening aspect of that climb.

The trail finding is definitely worth the effort since that basin is absolutely amazing.