[TR] Goat Rocks - The Plan had been Old Snowy 6/6/2009

ARob

Trip: Goat Rocks - The Plan had been Old Snowy

Date: 6/6/2009

Trip Report:

Not even sure if this counts as a trip report, but some folks were interested in what we saw so I thought I would post it. Our plan was to go establish a base camp at Packwood Lake and make for Old Snowy Mt. by getting up to Packwood Saddle. The Ranger said that was just about the only TH accessible right now.

The trail was pretty much clear of snow the whole way to the Lake. We set up camp on the far end of the lake and started hiking the next morning. The creeks were running too high and when we looked at the map we saw we were going to have to cross 7 or 8 of them and they were only going to get bigger with larger snowpacks feeding them.

We bugged out and headed for Lost Lake, with the hopes of maybe getting to Chimney Rock. After a while of not being on the trail and scrambling around the snowy forest we said forget Lost Lake, we're just getting lost. Besides, it was just a white out up above (never saw a peak the whole weekend because of low clouds) and my new Scarpa Summits were giving me blisters (but I still think they are going to be sweet boots).

Headed back to camp and chilled. Which sucked about as bad as fishing, napping, and drinking hot buttered rum can suck. Beat the hell out of being in the city. Looking forward to coming back and doing a Goat Rocks Traverse later this summer.

Didn't really take any photos interesting enough to post here.

Approach Notes:

Snow level is around 3,500' even on south aspects. Creeks are running really high.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...