abject & utter depression

ivan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivan, when's your last day at school...?

essentially next friday - the wife n' kids fly out for 5 weeks the friday after that, so i'm thinking i won't be doing so much reading then! :)

i might need something light for long aid-belays in the valley - perhaps i should take a pamphlet on famous jewish sports stars?

neal stephenson's baroque cycle might be just what you need. about 3g's if memory serves and an extra 500 or so if you read cryptonomicon first.

I'll second this recommendation. Come to think of it, Ivan sort of reminds me of Half Cocked Jack Shaftoe...

now this sounds cool!

but according to wikipedia, i must be a bizarro-world jack shaftoe as i imagine i'm pretty much the exact opposite of an "illiterate adventurer of great resourcefulness and charisma."

after 6 months and 6 1/2 thousand pages i just finished the forever to be unfinished aubrey-maturin series - what in the fuck am i going to do for brain-food for the rest of my life? after a few thousand pages you just kinda start relying on it to be there 'till the end of days...

hella'sweet reads,

OK the 5 volume set is on order, if you don't see much of me in the following weeks you only have yourself to blame. What kind of wine pairs well with this reading material Ivan? I've been reading "the Rising Sun" by Toland, and pairing it with Woodbridge by Robert Mondovi. Mostly cause it's good shit but comes in bottles with corks (the wife wants me to limit my drinking, and a box would be in the fridge 24/7 reminding her I'm drinking again so I need to pass on the box unless leaving it on the counter is OK) and the Woodbridge only costs $ 4.70 a bottle at Costco in the 4 pack. I could easily see that the wine might tally higher than the book set ($114.00 no shipping cost) if I only hit a bottle per book.

As far as gear requests go, walls tear shit up so I don't loan stuff out for them, but if you only need like a #4 Big Bro for the Hollow Flake or something like that let me know. Benny was intimating around the campfire in Yosemite last month that he would like to borrow my offset Alien set to do Zodiac but I declined. Glad to see it didn't slow him down at all and he sent.

after 6 months and 6 1/2 thousand pages i just finished the forever to be unfinished aubrey-maturin series - what in the fuck am i going to do for brain-food for the rest of my life? after a few thousand pages you just kinda start relying on it to be there 'till the end of days...

hella'sweet reads,

OK the 5 volume set is on order, if you don't see much of me in the following weeks you only have yourself to blame. What kind of wine pairs well with this reading material Ivan? I've been reading "the Rising Sun" by Toland, and pairing it with Woodbridge by Robert Mondovi. Mostly cause it's good shit but comes in bottles with corks (the wife wants me to limit my drinking, and a box would be in the fridge 24/7 reminding her I'm drinking again so I need to pass on the box unless leaving it on the counter is OK) and the Woodbridge only costs $ 4.70 a bottle at Costco in the 4 pack. I could easily see that the wine might tally higher than the book set ($114.00 no shipping cost) if I only hit a bottle per book.

As far as gear requests go, walls tear shit up so I don't loan stuff out for them, but if you only need like a #4 Big Bro for the Hollow Flake or something like that let me know. Benny was intimating around the campfire in Yosemite last month that he would like to borrow my offset Alien set to do Zodiac but I declined. Glad to see it didn't slow him down at all and he sent.

lord, that's a lot of pressure to put on humble me, to drop a franklin a shitton of books assumign my taste is any damn good!

do yourself a favor and get this http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Words-Third-Companion-Seafaring/dp/0805066152 as unless you're an able seaman who knows the difference between a backstay and a futtock shroud you'll be fucked for comprehension the first 500 pages!

was just kidding on the gear thing, btw, though i recall at some point you said you'd given jimbo a hammer i could have to replace my ball-pean ghetto-rig which i need to actually act on :)

dude, shitty boxed red wine can totally hide in the garage! when done w/ the bladder you can reinflate it and give it to a baby to play w/ too :)

neal stephenson's baroque cycle might be just what you need. about 3g's if memory serves and an extra 500 or so if you read cryptonomicon first.

I'll second this recommendation. Come to think of it, Ivan sort of reminds me of Half Cocked Jack Shaftoe...

now this sounds cool!

but according to wikipedia, i must be a bizarro-world jack shaftoe as i imagine i'm pretty much the exact opposite of an "illiterate adventurer of great resourcefulness and charisma."

Oh, and I don't mean to suggest you've only half a winkie due to an unfortunate attempt to cure the French Pox with a branding iron either, just that you have a reckless slapdash insouciance that could make you a viable successor to the King of the Vagabonds.

i recall at some point you said you'd given jimbo a hammer i could have to replace my ball-pean ghetto-rig which i need to actually act on :)

dude, shitty boxed red wine can totally hide in the garage! when done w/ the bladder you can reinflate it and give it to a baby to play w/ too :)

I had once loaned Jim my Forrest hammer to go to Yosemite. It was returned @ 7 years later when he moved and found in in the bottom of one of his piles:-).

Hammer_pictures_7_19_08_small.jpg

It's the one 2nd from left. When I found and bought the one on the left, I re-loaned #2 back out to him on a semi-permanent basis is all.

BTW, you might seriously consider getting on the list for the Joseph- Theron "open source" Deuse5 (A5) hammer which is coming out soon. Just drink less wine and you'll have all kinds of extra $.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=151177&tn=0&mr=0

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=853495&tn=0&mr=0

That's a great idea for recycling the wine box and getting the baby some intellectual activity...