Old Bolt on the Haystck (Si)... what to do?

rodster001

I found an old bolt about 15 or 20 meters off the ground on the Haystack. It is on the south eastern face along a crack (which is a route I don't think sees much action). I have used it a couple of times (it seems to hold ok). The hanger looks fine, but the bolt doesn't look so great. It's rusty and has pulled a little and is slightly bent. But before I start hammering with a Rocpic, I thought I would post here first. I figure I can leave it, pull it, replace it or (what I want to do) add a second expansion bolt and hanger to the right of it. I plan on visiting the route again. So what are your thoughts on this? What would the park think of me doing this? What is the "right" thing to do?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BirdDog: no, that isn't it. It's quite a bit higher. It's 40 - 50 feet from the ground, about 4" on the right side of a vertical 3" crack and about 3 feet above a horizontal 6" crack.

Alpinfox: I didn't want to mention Grid Bolting... but I agree, I'm on it. The Haystack will shine like a lighthouse when I am done, there will be so many bolts/hangers in it. It will be pretty.

Edited by rodster001

BirdDog: no, that isn't it. It's quite a bit higher. It's 40 - 50 feet from the ground, about 4" on the right side of a vertical 3" crack and about 3 feet above a horizontal 6" crack.

Couldn't much higher than the one I saw, it was only about 15' below the top of the haystack.