Climbers missing in China :(

G-spotter

Copp, Dash and Johnson Search Update

6/5/2009 1:59:24 PM

This may or may not be accurate in two hours, but Nick Martino and Eric Decaria are in San Francisco trying to get visas for China. Assuming they can get visas today, they would fly out tonight or tomorrow and be on the ground in Chengdu by Sunday afternoon or evening and at basecamp by Monday evening, China time.

There are 2 Chinese climbers who arrived at base camp last night and will head out to advanced base camp at first light. 2 more Chinese climbers are on route from Beijing and will be arriving at base camp shortly.

Pete Takeda and Steve Su are on deck and planning to leave Boulder on Sunday.

Jonny Copp, Micah Dash and Wade Johnson Search Update

6/5/2009 11:11:00 AM

June 5, 2009, Boulder, CO—Three Boulder, Colorado climbers—Jonathan Copp (age 35), Micah Dash (age 30), and Wade Johnson (age 24)—are overdue, having missed their flight on June 3 from Chengdu, China.

The three traveled to Mount Edgar (6818 meters/22,368 feet) on the Minya Konka massif, Western Sichuan Province, China. They embarked from base camp on May 20, 2009. There hasn’t been any contact with the climbers since.

Copp and Dash are highly experienced alpinists and professional climbers who have many years experience tackling big unclimbed mountains around the world. They received the Mugs Stump Award grant for this expedition from the American Alpine Club in 2008 but had to delay the climb until now, due to political unrest in the region. Johnson (a photographer with Sender Films) was accompanying Dash and Copp to base camp and did not intend to attempt the climb to the summit.

On June 4, 2009, a small party of experienced climbers, organized through the Sichuan Mountaineering Association, arrived in “base camp” and are preparing to continue up to the “advanced base camp” to gather information. Search efforts are being professionally coordinated by friends and colleagues in Boulder and more climbers from China and the US are being deployed to the area. Developing information will be shared as soon as it is available.

“We’re taking all the necessary steps to gather information about the climbers’ whereabouts and haven’t identified any complications beyond their lateness. Although we’re concerned, in alpine climbing it’s not unusual to for climbers to be delayed or out of contact for this long. We are still hopeful,” says Robb Shurr, spokesperson for the search effort.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be the latest- check back here:

http://www.adventurefilm.org/blogs/adventure_blog.aspx

Climber's Body Found in China

6/6/2009 10:00:00 AM

June 6, 2009, Boulder, CO—A body has been found in avalanche debris at 4000 meters on Mount Edgar (6818 meters/22,368 feet) on the Minya Konka massif, Western Sichuan Province, China. It is believed to be one of the American climbers currently being searched for, though there is no positive identification at this time.

A team of local Chinese climbers has initiated the search effort. More Chinese and American climbers are en route to the area.

The three American climbers are from Boulder, Colorado—Jonathan Copp (age 35), Micah Dash (age 32), and Wade Johnson (age 24)—and have not been heard from since May 20.

“We are working hard to get a positive i.d. on the climber’s body and are keeping the search effort underway,” says Robb Shurr, spokesperson for the search effort.

A blog with up to date information and a fund to help assist in search and rescue efforts has been set up at http://adventurefilm.org/.

No other information is currently available. As soon as more information becomes available it will be shared. Please do not contact friends and family due to the sensitive nature of the situation.

Fuck. I got to see Micah talk, and his understatement of what his and Jonny's trip to Pakistan took was great. If someone can pull through this it is those guys. Hope the other two are out there in a snowcave somewhere.

One more sad post:

6/7/2009 3:30:00 PM

June 7, 2009, Boulder, CO—The body found in avalanche debris at 4000 meters on Mount Edgar (6818 meters/22,368 feet), China, has been positively identified as Jonathan “Jonny” Copp, age 35 of Boulder, CO.

“Our deepest condolences and love go to all of Jonny’s family and friends—and that list of people is so long. He will be sorely missed, but we celebrate his inspiring and amazing life,” says Robb Shurr, spokesperson for the search effort.

Jonny was one of three American climbers on the expedition. The search continues for the other two, Micah Dash (age 32), and Wade Johnson (age 24).

The first team of American climbers, Eric Decaria and Nick Martino, have landed in China and should arrive in base camp Monday to coordinate search efforts with the Chinese team already in place. A second team of American climbers, Peter Takeda and Steven Su, are en route to China.

“We are deeply grateful to the Chinese climbers and rescue workers who have been doing everything possible on the ground to carry out the search,” says Shurr.

A blog with up-to-date information and a fund to help assist in search and rescue efforts have been set up at http://adventurefilm.org/

Please do not contact friends and family at this time due to the sensitive nature of the situation.

The sad reality of the adventures we pursue as climbers, but one that is accepted at the onset of such endeavors... Copp was living to do what he wanted to do, and that was climb the big stuff. No shame in his death, but he will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him. Let's just pray that Dash and Johnson are only lost... :(

FUCK

BEIJING – Rescuers struggling through high winds and blizzards recovered the body of a second American climber Monday after an avalanche buried a team of three U.S. mountaineers in southwestern China last week, an official said.

One of the Americans was still missing.

The body of photographer Wade Johnson, 24, of Arden Hills, Minn., was uncovered Monday morning by a team of Chinese rescuers.

The rescue team had been scouring Mount Gongga in Sichuan province for the two missing U.S. mountain climbers after the body of Jonathan "Jonny" Copp of Boulder, Colorado, was found Saturday.

Three search teams are now on the mountain but are facing rough conditions, said Gao Min, a spokesman for the Sichuan Mountaineering Association.

"Our search team has encountered extremely challenging conditions today with the intense winds, potential for avalanches and heavy snowfall," Gao said.

Johnson was working for Boulder-based Sender Films, which makes climbing and outdoor adventure films.

Johnson was a 2007 graduate of Carleton College in Northfield, Minn., where a memorial service was scheduled for Monday afternoon.

In a statement distributed by the college, Johnson's mother, Susan Johnson, said, "Wade is someone to truly celebrate — and I continue to be amazed as to how vast the network is of the many people who knew and loved him."

The deaths of Copp, 35, and Johnson were the first on Mount Gongga since 2001, Gao said.

Micah Dash, 32, also of Boulder, remains missing. The three men were last heard from on May 20 at the base camp of Mount Edgar, a Mount Gongga peak.

Gongga, Tibetan for "highest snowcapped mountain," attracts both tourists and mountaineers. It is 24,790 feet (7,556 meters) above sea level, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

I should have also posted by own condonlences above- I didn't mean to post such a blunt post.

I've only become aware of Johnny Copp's contributions to this passion we all share though following the rescue effort. What I've found in learning about him is that his integrity is assured- his work in the mountains is his love for these special alpine places made visible. Even in death, and in the newness of learning his example, the greatest honor we can hope to give him is to carry the example forward. There is a touching note on his character posted on the adventure film festival blog link I posted above.

I try to remind myself that they lived and died doing what they loved. There is a greatness in that. These sorts of individuals take great risks to accomplish great things, and by doing so, they inspire the rest of us. I believe people like this keep the human spirit of adventure and exploration alive, and that's what makes us great as a species. It reminds me of the amazing things we can do.

It's always sad to lose people, and so I try to remind myself of what they've given the world in their short time here, and the legacy of endeavor and courage that they leave behind.

Thanks, guys!

I try to remind myself that they lived and died doing what they loved. There is a greatness in that. These sorts of individuals take great risks to accomplish great things, and by doing so, they inspire the rest of us. I believe people like this keep the human spirit of adventure and exploration alive, and that's what makes us great as a species. It reminds me of the amazing things we can do.

It's always sad to lose people, and so I try to remind myself of what they've given the world in their short time here, and the legacy of endeavor and courage that they leave behind.

Thanks, guys!

This is a great post Rob. Climbing carries great risk in these situations but it is a choice that all are welcome to make for the reasons you state. One could easily die in a car instead or have cancer.

Jonny and Micah are two of the most adventurous alpinists around and should be celebrated ala Alex Lowe who suffered a similar demise. Shit, hell, damn avalanches and unstable snow and/or ice. Be careful out there.

When I met Jonny it was a few years back at the Kahiltna basecamp. He was attempting a few projects with Kelly Cordes, who I knew a bit from my Montana days. Jonny was super laid back, very friendly and warm, and willing to share beta and good stories.

They were camped on the hill above the airstrip and I remember when they were leaving, Jonny packed all his gear including this big ass haul bag onto a sled and he rode it down through camp to the airstrip. Everyone was chuckling as it was a funny scene.

I met Micah on the NE Butt of Upper Cathedral in the valley. My partner and I were making good time on the route, but Micah and his partner flew past us simul-climbing most of the route. We bullshitted with them a bit, and he seemed like a nice dude as well.

Its a shit storm of suck what happened.

November 9th: I'm packing for a trip to a remote, unclimbed wall in Patagonia. My girlfriend says, "So how long will it take you guys to climb it?"

"Uhhhm, two days maybe... if it goes well." I say.

"You are going on a six week trip to climb for TWO days?" she says.

I must be an idiot, I think. Or it must be that good.

Jonny Copp

I've had that quote on my fridge for awhile now... it always reminded me that yes most people wont get it and yes it's worth it.

RIP guys :brew:

damn! Jonny was an awesome guy. If you know jtree at xmas, he was the long haired leader of the drum circle last two years.

pictures of Jonny here:

http://www.websterart.com/html/jtree2008.html

and here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/758207/TR_Joshua_Tree_for_Christmas_m#Post758207

He was obviously a great climber, but I had no idea he was famous until I went to send him pictures after last xmas and saw his website. He was very low key, just a happy soul, living the climbing life, played all kinds of instruments. We jammed together both years on guitar, drums and harmonica. Vibes like his will be hard to replace. His was the mellow campfire. No drunkeness or screaming, just a super cool dude. Damn.

Gave me a big hug when I saw him at xmas, remembered me from previous year.

I'm gonna miss seeing him at jtree. I met his parents and his girlfriend there as well, I can't imagine their pain.