Index RIGHT NOW with Fred Beckey and me

Alpinfox

Fred and I are leaving for an afternoon Index sesh in about an hour or so.

Leaving from Lake City area.

If you'd like to come along, it would be good to have a third.

You should be competent and patient.

Edited by Alpinfox

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpinfox,

I think it's cool you get out with Fred, but I'm wondering why you often look for the third to join your excursions. Especially when you're moving slower and a two man team seems to work well for a lot of the routes you end up doing. Meaningless curiosity here, not instigating a spray session from any parties. Keep doing what you're doing, I think it's great.

Fred is pretty hard of hearing, so it's nice to have a person at each belay with a working set of ears.

I prefer climbing in a group of three for social reasons.

Climbing in a group of three is also safer - more options if something goes wrong.

Fred is also accustomed to a more laid-back style of belaying which isn't the ideal psychological tonic for my weak lead head.

A note about your "location" in your profile: I climbed South Crack on Stately Pleasure Dome in Toulumne with Fred last September.

Funny little synchronicity there.

What is the best route at x38?

The best route at X38 is the one having the most fun.

In this case, mountainsloth got it right: it's "Endless Bliss" - a 40m, 5.9- slab route at the Far Side area, "Gun Show" crag.

I concur. Lots of people make fun of it because of all the bolts but Leland created a route that gets a lot of use. It gets climbed a lot more often than something like Bachar-Yerian. Not all climbers want to be in peril but just want to have fun.