Cleaning at Index

fenderfour

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark and I went down to Private Idaho yesterday afternoon with the attention of putting an anchor on Wet Dream. I rapelled down from the trees above, and lo and behold someone had already done the deed!

Not having anything better to do, I gave the route a good scrubbing with a wire brush, and got some more dirt out of the crack. While I was doing this, along comes Argus below. Turns out the anchor was his handiwork. Meanwhile Mark removed the blackberries from the bottom of the crack.

We then top roped the route and I found a loose piece of flake inside the pod near the top. This flake was right where you'd perhaps want to put some gear or maybe a jam, so I trundled it. There was a nice, solid hand crack behind it.

I'm guessing the reason for the persistence of the loose rock is most people layback and run out this section anyway. We both thought that this route was a really fine one and very much in the style of the other route at Private Idaho, that is, hand to fist cracks.

So go get on her! The route is both as clean and dry as you'll ever see it. Gear to 4", 25 meters, approximately.

Bring the mosquito repellent. They are swarming thick right now.

Other easy/moderates there at the Private Idaho that are very much worth doing would include the second pitch of Curious Poses and Instanbul (which I remember being wider than a "handcrack" for me). Sure, a little dirtier than say Godzilla but certainly nothing to keep you away.

I saw another thread/post somewhere recently about the K-Cliff -more quality pitches for the mortal whiners like myself!

Mark led Istanbul on our visit last week. I couldn't think of the name then and you just reminded me. I just wanted to say that Istanbul looks a lot dirtier than it really is. The actual crack and foot placements are clean. Not to say that it wouldn't benefit from some scrubbing, but it is definitely clean enough to climb. [istanbul is the crack to the left of Battered Sandwich]

Any info on Tatoosh at the LTW?

I "heard" it was clean and a good climb now, but the guide book says it's basically a belayer death route.

It got cleaned last year, I think by Chris Henson. Thanks to whomever it was!

It is a good route, take lots of finger-sized gear - 5.10b. There are new anchors as well.

It requires a 70m to TR though. A friend almost got really injured or worse on this route with a 60m rope. I think you could use the intermediate anchors on TF to get off with a 60m.

I cleaned "Index Air Force" 5.10a beside "Them" on the wall of 10,000 insects with Argus and BHerc yesterday.

It's in good shape and a lot of fun, even in approach shoes. I will be coming back with an axe and a crowbar to remove the stump.

I forgot to add chains to the rap station on PI. Next time...

I cleaned "Index Air Force" 5.10a beside "Them" on the wall of 10,000 insects with Argus and BHerc yesterday.

It's in good shape and a lot of fun, even in approach shoes. I will be coming back with an axe and a crowbar to remove the stump.

I forgot to add chains to the rap station on PI. Next time...

THANK YOU guys for cleaning these awesome routes. I'm keeping a sixer of schwag tall-boys for y'all in my trunk in the event I run into you guys.

I stumbled across IAF yesterday and took advantage of it's newly cleaned state. THANK YOU! This is a kick-ass route, with excellent protection at the crux. People should get on it!

Them rocks too, and it's got some shiny new (?) chains.

Also got over to Shady Lane a couple weekends ago and got on a couple of the newly cleaned routes over there. These are all quality routes, well worth the walk.

Many of these routes are also in the shade, something to think about on sunny hot days.

The more these routes get climbed, the cleaner they'll become!

- a s s m :rocken: n k e y

K Cliff can use a little lovin' as well.

On the far left, Daryl put up a nice gear route called Special K 5.8. There are chain anchors to the right of the single bolt at the top. The crack is clean but the slabs at the start are a little mossy.

Dropping down from the chains is a gear/bolted route called Rise Pumpkin Rise 5.10a 5x and pro. to 3" . Check out the titanium glueins. The lower section could use a light brushing. These two routes are in the shade.

On the far right is Go! 5.9 3x and pro to 2." Section between second and third bolts requires thin gear. Some might find protection difficult to obtain in this section. The vines are creeping back onto this route.

Plenty of other routes in need in between.

K Cliff is on the right of the Inner Wall area as your heading up to Toxic Shock. There's a side trail to Special K when you hit the boulders.

To escape the Toxic Shock crowd yesterday, we scurried around the corner to "Happy Puppy" 5.9 and "Who Put the Purr in My Pussy" 5.8 and were well rewarded with two fun climbs.

The chimney section of "Happy Puppy" was so sparkly clean! Must have been recently scrubbed? Thanks to whoever put in the hard work. :tup: The finish is dirty but don't let that stop you from checking out this fine line.

"Who Put the Purr in My Pussy" was in decent shape. It looks dirtier than it really is. We didn't encounter any loose rock(the guidebook warns of loose flakes near the top). Both climbs share a rap station(slings w/biners around a tree).

Anyone been on "Behind the Eightball" (200 ft past Toxic Shock")recently? From the ground, this one looked pretty grimy.