[TR] Mt Stuart - Complete N. Ridge & Gendarme 6/1/2009

Tony_Bentley

Trip: Mt Stuart - Complete N. Ridge & Gendarme

Date: 6/1/2009

Trip Report:

Geoff Cecil and I climbed the complete north ridge.

We approached via Teanaway and bivy'd at Ingalls Creek on Sunday and did a quick hike to Goat Pass to check out the views.

We began hiking to the base of the ridge at about 5am and began climbing at about 9am. At about noon we were at the notch between lower and upper ridge. After getting to the ridge proper we ran into a bit of snow and decided to pitch out parts that would require some funky mix of rock, snow digging and tedious stepping. At one point I think we both were wondering if the route would go without crampons since neither of us brought them.

Once at the base of the gendarme we were about 1.5 hours behind schedule. The upper ridge above the gendarme had the most snow but was manageable and went pretty quick.

We were on the summit at about 8pm and quickly descended part of the Cascadian Couloir and traversed right to avoid a lengthy hike back to camp. Exhausted, we retreated into our sleeping bags and slept through the night.

The next morning we hiked out in about 1.5 hours and hit the burger place in Cle Elum before heading home.

Gear Notes:

Alpine rack to 3", ice axe, boots and a light jacket. Should have brought sun block.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing day! Hopefully (we) will be able to get some pics on this here TR. Very long and exhausting day. Past the upper notch doubt had planted itself in my mind while looking at the half snow/ice covered slab pitch before the gendarme and the rest of the route. Looking back the snow/ice was probably the highlight of the climb...looking back. I probably smoked about 5-6 cigarettes on route and ate Tony's food. Good times!

Yeah, but does he have a moustache?
if i could borrow john's 'stache from one of his stuie-trs then i would truly be the shit!

was hand-rolling smokes and drinking red wine during marathon aid-belays at yosemite last week :)

Way to get it, Tony!! and I like your slo-mo movie signature.

And the West Ridge route? Are the approach gulleys still snow filled? Is the summit block snowy on the west side?

I believe Mr. DanielPatrickSmith or something like that said the route is in good shape...snow in the gully dry rock. He posted it around here somewhere...