So You Wanna be a Mountie….

DonnieK

i've had two cases where i was denied access to a route with mountaineers and the route was left standing for several hours...

I don't understand why you should be denied access for several hours just because the rope is hanging. It seems that some of their leaders could learn to be flexible.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The large climbing group in general just sucks. The groups with one rope and a handful of people taking turns on toprope truly gets to me - this only happens in certain places, but they're the places that you want to hit real quick before heading home or something (Classic Crack in 11worth).

As far as the mounties, my run-ins with them have been pretty smooth. Like others have said, they usually gang bang the easier routes, and in some cases it's on garbage that you wouldn't even think about climbing anyway.

I guess everyone has to learn somehow... But, after learning a few basics (1 day), why the fuck can't someone just head out with 1 or 2 other bumblies and figure shit out.

I agree with whoever said it - If there's a rope up. Pull the thing, and climb on. The few occasions that I've pulled ropes: there was nobody immediately ready to climb, so I just started yarding the rope down, and half-ass told the "group" I was pulling their rope - I didn't ask. You can always offer to drag the rope back up when your 2nd cleans.

I have yet to see a fist fight at the crags! Haha. :battlecage:

What is the protocol when two Mountie leaders disagree on the interpretation of the Book? What is the resolution path?

Everybody knows that you would consult the Oracle of Delphi. :rolleyes:

Oracle_of_Delphi.jpg

Then get your retard to kill their retard.

300poster3.jpg

WWKLD?

(what would King Leonidas Do?)

"We are using this route and will be here until 4:30"...

Your response should have been....."well you better come over here and start using the rope or I am going to pull it"

HA!

Like i said, i didn't want to cause a ruckus in front of two 7 year old boys...you know, i'm all demure and crap...

Three pages of spray.
...and, now that you are here, it will soon morph into 300 pages of "ego blah blah blah" spray...:rolleyes:

Instead of your 200 pages? Apples and oranges baby!

more like my 20 to your 300...apples to watermelons is a better analogy....and then, if you got your girlfriend, pink, it'd be my sack of apples to your friggin' farmfield of melonheads...

I haven't had any direct run-ins with the Mounties craggin', but I don't really crag where they do I don't think.

I have witnessed some super scary practices in the alpine, and usually run the other way so as not to have to rescue one of their asses.

On a funny note, we headed into the slackcountry at Stevens this winter, and came across approx. 125 BoeAlps practicing their various mountaineering skills in Highland Bowl on a considerable avalanche conditions day. All we could really do was shake our heads and boot on by. (We were riding the other side of the ridge.)

This thread was kinda humorous, and somewhat interesting until Kev"ass-fu*k"bone showed up. Why must so many threads feel the taint?

Cheers.

Jimbo

I have also had some collisions with the mounties. The wife and I graduated from basic in '77 ,pursued intermediate for a few years but gave up to climb with friends who also dropped out.

After that we began calling them the 'hardy queers' when we saw their large groups (run the other way!), "hardies" for short. You have to admit they are hardy. Those turkeys haul big loads up far mountains...I have nothing but envy for those strong backs and knees.

I rejoined this year to help a couple good buddies teach a new class:

http://www.websterart.com/img/cragtrad.pdf

The concept was to take a small group of gym climbers and teach them to climb trad. We kept the instructor to student ratio good, about 1 instructor to 2 students, or one on one. We did not tie up cliffs with top ropes. I missed one trip, but I think they had everyone leading or following, no gang banging or top roping at all...right Marty?

On the trip last weekend, I took one student, and we climbed the hell out of castle rock. I made sure he could build and place anchors, then we started swinging leads on everything from midway direct to damnation. No gang banging, no top roping, just a couple guys climbing hard as they could. Does that sound like the dreaded hardies?

trip report here:

http://www.websterart.com/marty.html

Organizations are made from individual climbers, and, at least in Tacoma, we are changing.

Organizations are made from individual climbers....

I did the Mounties' basic course in 2004. I'd been climbing for many years already, but I wanted to get involved because I knew some great climbers that were in the mounties. I got to see and even be a part of the Charlie Franklins of Mounties at various climbing areas.

The individual dip shits that make the mounties seem like an oxymoronic "organization" are indeed mostly geeks that have barely enough experience to keep themselves safe in the gym. On the other hand, there are many instructors that are experienced and cognizant of the climbing world around them. Their experience gives them the luxury of situational awareness and so most of you never run into them when you're outside... or at least you don't really notice them as Mounties.

Any day at the crag, there are plenty of dicks that aren't in the mounties, but if we can throw the mounties label on there it makes it convenient for whining.

The mounties isn't an exclusive organization and their trips are entirely volunteer run. If all these CC folks that are experts on crag and alpine etiquette would volunteer one day of their year to help with the noobs at the mounties or other organization, you could inform/instruct/mold the noobs so we can quit our bitching... though... what we we do here then?