So You Wanna be a Mountie….

DonnieK

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they have to carry way too much stuff. Here is just one of my many encounters with them.

I went to climb the Tooth in early season a year or two ago year and there were a few groups on the route being instructed when we got there. They had every pitch on TR. They were cool and let us climb by. On the way down we came across one of the groups rappelling down as well. They told us they were with the mounties and there were 4 in their group. The first guy raps down to a ledge, ties into a tree, and gets off rappel. The second guy rappels further down and right of the first guy, ties into a tree and gets off rappel. The leader and the last guy rap down to the second guy, tie in and pull the rope leaving the first guy stranded ½ way up the climb without a rope tied to a tree. The first guy did not say a anything to the leader and the leader proceeded to set up the rope for the final rappel unaware that one person in their party was not there. I finally I yell down to the leader and point to the poor guy stranded. At this point the leader had no idea how to resolve this problem. We set up our rope and swung it over to the guy so he could get down to his party.

I know this type of stuff does not typical happen with them but I thought it was humorous since nobody got hurt.

BTW that pic was taken at Vantage. I just thought it was funny example.

Generally, if you ask to climb a route, we will yield and pull our top ropes if we don’t have climbers on it.

The problem with this perspective is that by merely occupying so many routes, you place the burden on the other users to have to go and ask. Most people avoid conflict and I know I would rather just go elsewhere than have to enter a large group, not knowing who is running things and boldly make some request in front of a big group, only to be told that someone is climbing that. Taking up 5 routes is totally unacceptable. 3 should be max and you should rotate through those at that, ensuring they are free later.

Generally, if you ask to climb a route, we will yield and pull our top ropes if we don’t have climbers on it.

The problem with this perspective is that by merely occupying so many routes, you place the burden on the other users to have to go and ask. Most people avoid conflict and I know I would rather just go elsewhere than have to enter a large group, not knowing who is running things and boldly make some request in front of a big group, only to be told that someone is climbing that.

Grow a pair and speak up. Jeez, it's not hard.

"hey, can I jump on a route here?"

real tough.

I've climbed a fair amount in Wa and I can't remember ever running into a Mounty clusterfuck. Generally tho if I see a big group of climbers at a crag I just drive on to the next. I am convinced the Mountie crowd problem is a bigger internet event than an actual crag event.

The problem with this perspective is that by merely occupying so many routes, you place the burden on the other users to have to go and ask. Most people avoid conflict and I know I would rather just go elsewhere than have to enter a large group, not knowing who is running things and boldly make some request in front of a big group, only to be told that someone is climbing that.

Grow a pair and speak up. Jeez, it's not hard.

"hey, can I jump on a route here?"

real tough.

Knowing that a lot of people are rather shy, if I have a rope up and no one is climbing that very instant, I'll say, "hey, if you want to climb this route, feel free to tie in or pull the rope if you want to lead it".

Knowing that a lot of people are rather shy, if I have a rope up and no one is climbing that very instant, I'll say, "hey, if you want to climb this route, feel free to tie in or pull the rope if you want to lead it".

I've done the same.

I've also spoken up when I run into a cluster. The Tooth last May comes to mind (large WAC group on the route)

The problem with this perspective is that by merely occupying so many routes, you place the burden on the other users to have to go and ask. Most people avoid conflict and I know I would rather just go elsewhere than have to enter a large group, not knowing who is running things and boldly make some request in front of a big group, only to be told that someone is climbing that. Taking up 5 routes is totally unacceptable. 3 should be max and you should rotate through those at that, ensuring they are free later.

just move the fuckin' rope out of the way and start climbing if no one is on it...leavin' your rope there is lame...mountie or not...

what are they gonna do???? Demand that you come down? bawahahahaha...

What is the protocol when two Mountie leaders disagree on the interpretation of the Book? What is the resolution path?

arm each mountie with one large slung hex and blow the whistle...last one standing wins...helmets are on!...hammers are poor form...

duhfuckin'duh Porter...how long you been around anyway...tool

that's why i said move it out of the way...plus, i don't really give a shit if they have to relead it...they get to practice all of their dogma one more time...

When you are instructing you stand around a lot, so releading a pitch would not be a bad thing.

I doubt these pitches would interest you anyways RuMR - we are talking about beginner routes - 5.3 to 5.6

I was at the LTW a few weeks ago and there were ropes on every climb from Iron Horse to Godzilla... a few route break and then more climbers. Nobody (except for Sloe Children) was climbing more than the first pitches. TRs were everywhere. Everyone seemed happy and friendly I don’t see the difference between an organized mob on occasion and a regular spontaneous mob every weekend.

I was at the LTW a few weeks ago and there were ropes on every climb from Iron Horse to Godzilla... a few route break and then more climbers. Nobody (except for Sloe Children) was climbing more than the first pitches. TRs were everywhere. Everyone seemed happy and friendly I don’t see the difference between an organized mob on occasion and a regular spontaneous mob every weekend.

Peter...the difference is that, typically, in the scenario above, climbers would let a redpointer try a route or let their rope be used as a tr...i've had two cases where i was denied access to a route with mountaineers and the route was left standing for several hours...

That would be annoying but as I said I've never had to deal with a Mountie hoard before. I have met plenty of jerks that weren't Mounties.
try taking your boy and a friend of his to barney's rubble when they are there or some place along those lines...