Hell

shapp

It was another great weekend in Hell.(a little smokey) We seen a few new soles... baking in the sun on the South Flatiron. I would guess and say... they might have thought they were in Hell! A long standing project of Kevin's at the Pig Pen went down at 12 d by Spencer 100_0313.JPG Fall has to be the very best time of the year to climb in Hell!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the weather like in late December? The averages on climbingweather look pretty cold and wet but if you just look at averages, it's even colder in Vantage and I go there in Dec/Jan all the time. I'll be passing through the area on the way to Ouray in a few weeks, should I put Hell on the list of possible stops?

I've never been there... looking at this south face of the flatiron thing mostly because there's an actual picture of it with lines drawn on it. I assume that will be in the sun?

It is possible during December if you have a solid high pressure system in place. Check the weather. If the sun is out you can climb and the south face of the flat iron is a great winter crag. Climbs tend to be easier on the right side of the face. While there are a few committing routes on the cliff, most are VERY well protected, almost confusingly so. Long runners and bolt skipping are fun though and the rock is most enjoyable. Good camping at Allison creek; hike up the trail and find a tight left path just before the third creek crossing. When you are ready to head to Ouray, you can then escape east by following the road signs to Cambridge and hwy 95 then back out to 84 in southern Idaho. A bundle or two of wood will make the long nights pass in comfort. It is a beautiful location.

Have a fun journey-

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It just might have been the best 420 in Hell this year, with some my very good friends! The rain held off till 4:00 pm on Friday and the cloud cover was just right for the rest of the weekend. We seen a few other climbers getting there grove on. The lack of info dose not seem to slow some folks down.

This year because for lack interest, I have let the website Climbing in Hells Canyon.com go. I'm still working on the guide but with no projected finish date as of yet.

Don't let this keep you from climbing in Hell!

• 1 month later...