Hell

shapp

I sure miss Hell a lot more when new routes going in, glad Kevin is back to his old self. I have been working on the west side (I hate rain) and I'm planing on a long stay after I get done. Today Yoder and I are headed to a new sandstone crag that's in the shadow of Mount Rainier. I have a new route that overhangs so much it never gets wet...and its raining cats and dogs today!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great weekend of climbing! Two more new routes sent and two more projects in the wings. The high west side of the flat iron continues to yield good lines! We shared the place with four other climbers this weekend; amazing considering the amount of established climbing! Two folks from Montana could not believe two face was 21 years old with no signs of traffic. Maybe this place really does suck?? Yes I think it really does! Who likes rotten flakes, crappy friction and sloping holds?

• 4 months later...

I thought I would give a little more heads up for the 420 trip to Hell this year. This year 420 will be on the 4/20/12 weekend. This will be another chance to have fresh beta for climbing in the canyon. I hope to see some new faces and catch up with some old ones.

See ya in Hell!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that lives on the west side and he would like to share a ride with someone that is going to Hell for the 420 weekend 2012. He has been to Hell once and will be willing to split expenses. I sure hope some of you guys that have never been to hell are going to try and make it.

See ya in Hell!

Hey David-

Alas, I will be unable to participate in the 4:20 celebration, as we are having a birthday party for my 11 y.o.

How was Homestead? TR upcoming??

MH

That's the best reason for not making this trip...I have heard yet! But was hoping more of you wet siders would make the drive this year. If the weather holds a little, maybe we wont have to climb in the caves all weekend.

As always the 'Stead was great! Three weeks in the Southwest Desert bolting new routes and getting a mid-winter tan...whats not to love. As for a TR for the Homestead...cant get people excited about stone 8 hours away let alone 27 hours. If you missed it in the Feb 2012 No.302 of Climbing you can see what I have been enjoying for years. The funny thing is...the 2 must do routes at the Homestead are Tufa Yard Dash 11c bolted by Kevin and Tufa-one 11a by me.

Got to Love the 'Stead

Last time I climbed in Hell was at least 12 years ago. Are there still a billion rattlesnakes around?

Your kidding right...there's also ticks so you better just stay home.

I should not have said that, I was just :poke: ya, you don't have to stay home.

The rides have been taken care of and thanks for the offers!!

The weather is looking good for 4/20/12 and I am stoked for the turn out climbers this year that will enjoy it as well.

If you have been on the fence or just wanting to go climbing in Hells Canyon...this would be a good weekend to get off that fence or just put that want to bed and go climbing!

I hope to see you all in HELL someday!

It was another great weekend in Hell and we could have not asked for better weather. Spent Friday doing pitches on the South Flatiron it was a good thing there was a little cloud cover or it would have been too hot. Saturday we all went up to the Pig Pen Cave and climbed in the shade on some of the best stone in Hell. Sunday found us up the Big Dry Gulch in the shade again.

It was a great turn out of old friends.

Snakes and ticks are out in full force.

Great to see you again! I wished I would have camped instead of daytrippin' it from Boise! The ticks were off the charts this year! But totaly worth it. We stayed in the shade on Sleeping Monster climbing some QUALITY slabs! We then retreated to the N. side of Big Bar Buttress. Poison Ivy was bad below the routes, but avoidable. I can't wait to get back!

Once again, great to see all of you! Take care, Ralph

Slab3.jpg

• 4 months later...

With daytime temperatures are getting back down to a tolerable level... it's time for Hell! Lookin forward to a long weekend with a few other worthy soles. Fall is prime season, all the seeps are dry and shade temps at 69 what more could you ask for!

Come join us in Hell!

Edited by Roadstead1