Western Washington Beginner Rock

Tucker

Does anyone know a place in Western Washington, ideally north of Seattle, where a newbie can take his wife on some low 5th class crags that are top bolted? I've read through some local guide books but haven't found much that would allow me to setup a top rope and belay my wife who I'm hoping will have fun and start getting into the sport. The idea is to "have fun", that means no crazy approach, no cracks that you have to do too much hand jamming in...I want to ease her into this so she isn't scared away on her first trip. Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mt. Erie outside of Anacortes. Plenty of low-mid 5th routes with bolts up top and a short jont to the bottom...good learning enviroment...killer view...can be busy when it's nice...tourist spot due to the viewpoint...climbing guide available at the Lake Erie Grocery

Thanks for your replies! I actually had a plan to hit Icicle Canyon with the wife next weekend, Mountaineer's Dome was going to be the starting point but I know that can also be very busy. I'll check out Mt. Erie, thanks!

BTW...I see both of you have TRs posted, how did you go about posting them? I go to the Trip Reports portion of the site but I don't see any options to post a TR.

Thanks for your help!

To post a trip report:

Go HERE

Scroll down to trip reports

Select the region where your trip took place.

For example, if you climbed Mt. Baker, you would put your trip report in the North Cascades section which is HERE

At the top left of the screen you will see a link that says "New Trip Report".

Click on that.

Perhaps a Mod could add this to the FAQ?

Edit: I see you figured it out. Funny that I used Mt. Baker as the example.

Edited by Alpinfox