Moving to PDX. Looking for Housing

dt_3pin

My wife, little boy, and I are moving to PDX sometime this summer, and are looking for a rental house. Thought I'd tap the CC brain trust for some leads.

We're looking for a 2-3 bedroom house, preferably in the Laurelhurst, Hawthorne, or Sellwood neighborhoods. We'd like to be close to downtown where I'll be working, and walkable to parks and shops for my wife and little one. We're an established professional couple, so we're looking for something nice, not a beater rental.

We'd also consider the Alberta and Alameda neighborhoods, but are concerned about crime/safety. Those neighborhoods seem to be really hit or miss on that front. For context, we currently live in the Sunset Hill area of Ballard, and are looking for a similar family friendly feel.

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on PDX neighborhoods and tips on possible rentals.

Cheers,

-dt

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll likely be moving out of our 3 bedroom rental house near 39th and Hawthorne in August if the landlord raises the rent. Our plans are not yet firm since we don't know his intentions. However even if it is raised, the rent is easily within the range of a working couple.

The house is a nice 2-story craftsman with hardwood floors downstairs and 1 3/4 baths. Lots of hipsters in this neighborhood, but many old ladies as well. Plenty for wife and child to do and Fred Meyer is just down the street. Downtown is 2 miles away. We are going to be here at least until the end of July when we're taking the Oregon state bar exam.

Send me a PM if you'd like to know more and aren't looking to move until August at the earliest.