suggestion of a good point-and-shoot camera and

RuMR

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a camera, look at the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 - I have one and it really is indestructable. I've taken it 30 feet underwater in Hawaii, I've dropped it down a 100' cliff, watching it bounce, bounce, bounce... Nothing hurts it, and it takes good pictures (not up to a DSLR, but better than most point-and-shoot). For active people, there's really no other option.

For a camcorder, I love my Canon Vixia HFS10 - it takes amazing HD videos. It's a little pricy, but definitely worth it...

I have a Sony cybershot DSWC (or some combination of that) 120, and while it takes good photos, I find that it is a very "soft" camera. Meaning, that it is ment for inside use and not "throw in jacket pocket or pants pocket" and get on with your sports. I managed to tweak the lense just by leaning on it.

I have a Pentax Option W10 (an older model); it takes great photos in bright light and can get wet (which is a bonus for rafting); however it sucks in low light and the images come out blured. I recently upgraded to a Canon SD880 which I'm liking (although it took some tweaking to get colors figured out correctly). The image stabilization is a great plus. I've tried the video - but I'm not much of a video person so I can't say if it's good or not.

For example shots with the Pentax look at this page. All the climbing shots with the Pentax (landscape / zooms were with an SLR).

For example with the Canon look here and here (in the latter many of the landscapes are with an SLR).

Ken Rockwell's review of the Canon is here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

I'm no photographer, but I've done well with couple 70-80$ kodak digitals. They're relatively cheap so you wouldn't cry if you fumbled it off something high, and they're not super slim designs so I can manipulate it with gloves. I can also take great video with it--with an 8 GB flash card I can get 80 min.

You may already have this in mind, but I recommend something that takes AA batts, so you can put lithium ions in it. It seems often the wierd fancy rechargable batt that comes with a really slim camera is not actually the highest quality, and will die quick in cold temps. You usually only have one, and obviously can't sub batteries from something else.

--N

I bought a canon sd1100:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1100IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B0011ZK6PC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243627360&sr=8-1

at costco.

it works reasonably well, is tiny, and came with a nice little canon hard case. I bought a otter box at rei that fits it perfectly and is bombproof.

The pictures are ok for a point and shoot. And the video function is very sweet for short movies. However, being a long time slr user, I really notice the drop in quality. It's not the cameras fault.

My slr is so big and heavy, I thought I'd love the new point and shoot. But the control of my canon 50d SLR(and the 5 frames a second capability) make it irresistible. I'm back to leading with the big boy, though I usually leave the extra lens in the pack. The control of a real camera is *so* worth the weight.

- Cannon SD850 / SD1100 / SD990 (14.7 megapixels - it's a microscope and telescope)

- LowePro Rezo 10 (SD850 / SD1100) or 15 (SD990) case

- Good, solid [small] retractable key leash (wire or stout floss-like material) from a locksmith

The combination of the three, when used on the shoulder strap of a Metolius 'Big Wall' gear sling, allows you to instantly shoot from almost any stance or decent hold. If you start to slip or panic you can just throw the camera into space or drop it because it's leashed and then put it away once you get to a better stance.

The Canon G10 is about the closest you'll get to dslr image quality in a point and shoot. That said, it's still a ways off, and don't bother trying to shoot moving subjects. It's just not fast enough. Also, don't shoot at an iso higher than 200.

I got a Nikon S550 at Costco this xmas and it has been great. The BIG plus about this camera, well two, I think are the most important for any compact in mind. First, laser quick startup. Second, no shutter lag ie. time from when you press the button to when the picture is actually taken. The metering has been good on it too. I've been able to take some pretty stunning pictures with it.