Light weight mountaineering tent advice

JZickler

So I'm in the market for a new light weight 2 person 4 season mountaineering tent.

It will be used mainly on Cascade volcanoes.

I think I have it narrowed down to two models

1- Mountain Hardwear Spire 2.1

2- Black Diamond Firstlight w/ vestibule

Anyone have experience with either one?

Other thoughts or advice?

Thanks

JZ

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a Black Diamond Betamid? The lightweight version weighs about a pound and a half, has a lot of room for two people plus gear, is storm worthy, and cheap. I own two other tents, an Integral Designs MK1 Lite and a Mt Hardwear Annapurna. I use the Betamid 95% of the time.

BD Firstlight isn't 4-season, it's 1-season. I have sat out a few rainstorms in a firstlight and it just doesn't hold up. Think long bivis with chinese water torture. This tent is only appropriate when it is too cold to rain.

Just wondering if you had seam sealed your Firstlight? I seam sealed the heck out of mine and have used it in rainy weather (not a North Cascades Deluge, but steady Olympics and Cascade rain) without a leak so far. I love my Firstlight. I don't consider it 4 season. I have an older Sierra Designs single wall bomb shelter for bad weather and wind.

• 2 weeks later...
Get a fooking Hilleberg Allak. Or better yet.... there is a guy on Craigslist selling a Nallo GT 2 for $450. It would smoke either of those tents.

i'm going to second the notion for a Hilleberg and prefer the Nallo GT.

also check out the GoLite Valhalla 2+ ( http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=SH6137&s=1 )...very light and i really enjoy the tent...i'm a little over 6' 3" so need a roommy tent and the GoLite has the length to it...i find it similar to the BD stuff and you could cram a 3rd in should you need to...plus i like the dual vestibules

Personally, you want a tent with extra length for storing crap, and a vestibule so you can cook. The length comes in handy for drying clothes slings etc. If you rub against the side it isn't a tent as far as I am concerned. Just an emergency shelter may as well take a bivy sack and save weight. AKA the BD firstlight. Fine for a weekend, anything longer and your sleeping bag is screwed along with you.

If you are really high up, where you don't get condensation because it freezes as ice particles,then any tent will work as long as it withstands the wind. Anywhere else in the world, AKA all of North America/Alps/New Zealand, you will have condensation more often than not.

Brian

it seems your are right if you leave the netting at home and just go with the fly and ground cover.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/carbon-reflex-2/product = 2 lbs 12 oz the whole tent or only 2 lbs with just the fly and ground cover. this tent does appear to be slightly bigger than the Firstlight.

Firstlight = 2 lbs 11 oz

these wieghts are from the manufacturer specs, not sure how accurate they are.

I have a firstlight, and have to make sure my tent mate is not over 6 foot or they don't really fit comfortably. i've seam sealed it and been in the rain and snow with it and it was just enough to be comfortable. i haven't been in a deluge with it though.

I can say from experience that the pole configuration that MSR uses on that tent, as well as their hubba tents makes them useless in the wind. Any gusts above 20-30 mph hit that thing broadside and your kissing the ceiling. Good for drippy days and lightweight backpacking, which I guess is probably what they were meant for anyway.