Climbing Shoe Resole Seattle

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to ship to MT. Try Cascade Cobbler in Mazama/Wintrhop. James and Tori do an awesome job, relatively cheap and with a quick turnaround.

You can drop them off at Stone Gardens or Edgeworks.

www.cascadecobbler.com

Edited by fredrogers

Dave Page's shop has ruined pairs of my shoes and pairs of my friends shoes. I hear he himself does a fine job but his help sucks.

I just got my first pair (anasazi vcs) back from cascade cobblers via stone gardens. I'm letting them cure for a week before i use them (the key to a lasting resole or so they say) but they look great. He also sent me a partial refund because i paid for a rand job and he didn't think they needed one so the total was only 28 bucks.

If they climb as well as they look they will be getting more of my business.

Why hasn't someone created an at-home solution for small toe edge blow outs?

I don't understand why an entire sole needs to be done over when its almost always a dime or penny size hole in the toe.

Check out Stealth Paint. I believe it is made by 5.10.

I'm just curious why those of you who find Dave Page's service objectionable do? How is a climbing shoe 'ruined' by a resoler? Presumably they aren't much use before they get resoled (at least, mine generally aren't before I get them done) and then they are useful after resoling. Seems like the point, right? I've had two pairs done at dave's shop and none anywhere else, so I'm wondering how the repairs might differ.

I'm just curious why those of you who find Dave Page's service objectionable do? How is a climbing shoe 'ruined' by a resoler? Presumably they aren't much use before they get resoled (at least, mine generally aren't before I get them done) and then they are useful after resoling. Seems like the point, right? I've had two pairs done at dave's shop and none anywhere else, so I'm wondering how the repairs might differ.

well, first pair delammed quickly (1 week), he refused to fix...2nd pair was a pair of futuras that i left a detailed written description to not remove the sole, only the plate and replace that (the shoe was designed to do this)and then had a verbal discussion to make sure he understood what i wanted done. Get the shoe back with the sole removed and the shoe destroyed. They would have lasted damn near forever if resoled the way LaSportiva designed them to be...i was so fuckin' pissed...

Dave's in Fremont, Seattle is the shit. I have had a few pairs done there, reliable 1 week turn around, competitive prices and a genuinely nice and knowledgeable guy.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

keep it local Seattlites!

RUN AWAY FROM DAVE PAGE!!!1

Just like RuMR and everyone else here has been saying, keep your sneakers away from this guy. He's trashed a pair of my shoes, and has absolutely no customer service skilz nor ability to relate to the public. IMHO, he can't do rock shoes, period. My first pair of footwear I ever took to him (about 20 years ago) was a pair of waffle-stomper hiking boots. He did an awesome job on resoling them. Lasted for a helluva long time. Must be his specialty. So I decided to take him my climbing shoes...

He did a fair job on them, but they delaminated within two weekend trips. I called him and sent them back, and he fixed them, but wasn't too happy about doing it. I figured he'd just had a bad day or had some dumb schmuck work on them, so when I next needed another shoe tune, I gave him another chance. I reminded him of my displeasure with the previous job before he worked on the second pair, and he said he'd do the job himself.

One of two things happened: either he lied and had the same schmuck fuck up my second pair of shoes, or he actually did work on them himself and he just can't do climbing shoes. I was pretty pissed off by this time.

So then I started taking my shoes to Rumata. No issues whatsoever. Great job, good turnaround, pleasant peeps, great prices. I doesn't matter to me that they've moved; I have enough spare shoes lying around that shipping to MT won't bother me for the job that gets done for the price.

I say it again: STAY AWAY FROM DAVE PAGE!!!1

Do a search on this board for "resole" and I think you'll see the same laments about Dave Page that others have posted on this thread. Know that Rumata's the shizzle! :tup: :tup:

thread from 2003...

one from 2007...

Edited by sobo

I have had 4 pairs done through Yosemite Bum. Always excellent work, far better than expected. From friends comments, I have avoided rubber room, (slow turn arounds, expensive, and one pair of lost shoes)

Yosemite Bum is pretty good with turn around times, and really specific at trying to keep your costs low. (calls if rand repairs required, etc.)

Proven his work in my eyes, I now just send him my shoes with a note that says "fix them like they're yours".

I do miss the old italian guy in Canada who used to repair my shoes and send back nasty notes with them ("you walk to much in these", "I can only repair your shoes, not your feet"

On a side note any reccomendations for MAJOR surgery on a pair of leather mountain boots (inside heel repair & enlarging toe box), as well as rebuilding Sportiva cirques into proper big wall shoes?

Edited by summerprophet

Page

Pros:

Consistent batch quality of rubbers and thickness

Local

Cheapest anywhere-$28 for a half sole plus tax

Thin soles for the sensitivity needed for hard climbing

Fast

Cons:

Bad glue

I personally don't like the horizontal finishing grind

I have seen some bad jobs (and some really good ones)

Ramuta:

pros:

Always excellent consistent amazing workmanship!

Great glue

I personally like the vertical finishing grind

cons:

You have to ship them and wait a while.

The soles are thicker than even Sportiva puts on their beginner shoes, thus you can't feel the stone while on hard routes for almost three weeks until they wear down.

And RuMr, you should have been climbing on Kendos instead. (even for edging routes) :)

Page

Ramuta:

pros:

Always excellent consistent amazing workmanship!

Great glue

I personally like the vertical finishing grind

cons:

You have to ship them and wait a while.

The soles are thicker than even Sportiva puts on their beginner shoes, thus you can't feel the stone while on hard routes for almost three weeks until they wear down.

And RuMr, you should have been climbing on Kendos instead. (even for edging routes) :)

Just FYI - RAMUTA (Who I'll ship shoes to till the day I die) does different thicknesses, you have to request them and VW isn't very good at telling you the options. I email him last month and this is the info:

"We have xs Grip in 3.5mm, xsv in 3.5mm and 5.10 C4 in 4.0mm and 5.5mm. Thanks, John"

Me? I have 2 pairs of my fav shoes, one with XS Grip for hot days and one with the Stealth for the colder ones (he had ONYX I think last time - need to ask about that)

Send em to Ramuta - QUALITY period

keep it local Seattlites!

Screw that! Ramuta is actually a THIRD generation Seattle cobbler. (and I bet one of the very few)

Ramuta does a perfect job every time and charges less that what is is worth.

My thought is we are still lucky Ramuta has decided to continue resoling shoes.

Send them to Montana and support a local with some talent, who actually uses his own product.

There's a new product out from stealth rubber. I bought it at MEC up here in canada for $ 15. It's basicially 5-10 rubber ground up with a tube of sole cement. You have to mix up what you need yourself..recipe included. Only used a tiny amt so far..lots left. See if REI carries it. Needed to fix a small hole on the bottom of one shoe. Haven't climbed in them yet..will do so this wednesday...but I'm happy. The shoes cost me $ 60 on sale so I wasn't going to pay a $ 50 resole just to fix a small hole.

Only thing is, I should have mixed a tiny amount first to fill up the hole only, wait until dry then put on a second coat to cover the entire front part of the sole. I can still feel the depression of the original hole.

Edited by loftypeaks

One of two things happened: either he lied and had the same schmuck fuck up my second pair of shoes, or he actually did work on them himself and he just can't do climbing shoes. I was pretty pissed off by this time.

Who knows, but he should be able to do them. He has been an outddor shoe gobbler since the sixties. If he can't train his people to properly resole, he does not deserve the buisness. I UPS all my shoes to Montana and John Ramuta