Hood - Hogsback / Adams - South Spur

theoak

I'm interested in climbing the Hogsback route on Hood and the South Spur on Adams in late June or early July. I completed two 8 day mountaineering courses in Alaska with AAI, as well as some ice climbing classes in N.E.

I was planning on bringing a friend who has no mountaineering experience, although I'm not sure if I'm better off finding another partner or hiring a guide. I wanted to do some mountaineering in the N.W. this summer without having to pay $1500+ for a canned trip that would include 2 days of review.

Is anyone interested in climbing those routes this summer? If not, does anyone know of an guide for $150 - $200 per day? Any info is appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I'm a 60 year-old retired engineer. I've been into Mt Hood crater 4 times, summitted once. I've been up Mt. Adams five times - summited once.

I really don't think you need a guide or partner for Mt. Adams. It's not very technical nor dangerous. It should be no problem for your unexperienced friend... IF he can make it.

Mt Hood can be done without a partner, but it's best to join up with others for safety's sake. Getting to 10,500 ft is no problem, and not very dangerous. Getting the last 800 feet depends on snow conditions. Cell phones work all the way up to the summit.

I'll be happy to go with yuh anytime, cuze I have trouble finding a partner.

Have any questions?

Bill

I considered doing both routes by myself, however I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

I was thinking of going 7/5 - 7/10. Would it be possible to climb both Hood and Adams in 4 days?

Any suggestions on itenerary (Hood or Adams first)?

I can make Hood on 7/8 - 7/11, and would like to join up. Bill, I'm in the area, 39 yo engineer, looking for partner. Oak, SS Adams is a breeze. Suggestion: camp at Lunch Counter and get up early and go, after the sun is up the mountain is blanketed with hikers. All you need is crampons and axe while it is dark. Once the sun comes up it all turns to slush.

If I started climbing the South Spur on Adams at midnight on 7/6-7/7, and I should be down by the afternoon.

I was considering climbing the Hogsback on Hood at midnight on 7/07-7/08 (or will I need a day of rest after Adams?)

If I have time I was considering one more easy alpine climb....any ideas?

Let me know if anyone is seriously interested and I'll send you an e-mail/phone # so we can make definite plans.

I think most people would take a rest day but that all depends on your mental drive and physical conditioning prior to getting out here. I don't know if its exactly fair or accurate to compare, but since you're out east, ask if you'd do the presidential traverse (grafton notch/webster cliffs to madison and down the osgood trail to pinkham notch--the AT) twice in the same time frame as what you're thinking as for adams and hood?

I know the miles would probably be a bit less to do Adams and Hood but physical demand could be called similar to me, having done both those here and that romp out east.

one more easy alpine climb? as in lack of elevation gain or as in not technical.. south sister is an option, and st. helens if you can snag a permit for your timing-both have good elevation gain but are not technical (assuming you did the south side on s. sister).

Edited by Water

What's the best source of route information for Hood/Hogsback and Adams/South Spur?

I was thinking of easy as a non-technical route that can be climbed solo (if I don't find a partner).

This story makes me think twice about "easy":

On Sunday, October 19th Portland Mountain Rescue assisted in air evacuation of an injured climber on Mt Hood. Clackamas County Sheriff's Office alerted PMR on Sunday afternoon that a man that had fallen approximately 300 feet from the Hogsback coming to rest near Crater Rock. The man was descending the mountain when he slipped and fell. Another climber had witnessed the accident, placed a call to 911 and stayed with the injured man until help could arrive.

A PMR rescue team along with an AMR Reach and Treat team located the injured climber, assessed his conditions and began administering first aid. Once stabilized, the man was loaded into an Oregon National Guard 1042nd helicopter and flown to OHSU.

Hello theoak,

I am visiting in the Portland area during the second half of June and was hoping to find climbing partners for Mt. Hood. How about hooking up? I have a couple of years of experience climbing 14000ft mountains in the European Alps. Will bring all my gear except a rope.

I am flying in from Munich via San Francisco and will be in Portland on June 13th. Will be flying back home on June 29th.

and st. helens if you can snag a permit for your timing-both have good elevation gain.

You need a permit for St. Helens?

I have heard of this non-sense, but never witnessed it personally.

From Marble Mountain, it is a 5000' gain climb. fun indeed.

Some people bivy at 4000' some single push it. It's alll about you speed and style..

Bergfex,

You don't need lots of gear to ascend Hood, especially by the Old Chute route. Just crampons and ice axe will usually do the trick. Just get early start and be back on the Hogsback by the time the sun hits that area, there's always a chance of slides or icefall.

Hit me up when you are here. I've been up 3 times, and always enjoy it.

Bergfex, I would like to climb with you, but I'm going to be there July 6-10.

I'm going to attempt the South Spur of Adams and the Hogsback on Hood solo if I don't find a partner.

I'm assuming there is no crevasse hazard on either route? Where do I get permits for both climbs?

Hey, I'm going to be on Mt. Hood sometime around July 9-12 if you were still looking for a partner for Hood. theoak, I was considering doing it solo if I couldn't find a partner too, but if you think you could do Hood sometime around then, you've got one (and so do I)