Mt. Hood South Side Conditions Ice falling 5/24?

vertical_hiker

Hey, just curious what the conditions are like on Mt. Hood right now, Sunday, May 24? Ice falling still? Slushy, post-holing early? I was there on Tuesday night when it dropped 5-6" of snow, and a few days before that, ice was falling, and actually a baseball sized ice-ball nailed my friend in the face, splitting his lip and chin open, and rolling tire-sized ice pieces came rolling passed him, as well as taking a few others out on the route? I know there are probably many up there tonight and tomorrow, but I want to make sure the route is in good condition.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about the friend, last weekend we saw a guy get hit real hard on the chute traverse. From what I have heard about the weekend...It has not snowed, the snowpack has settled a bit and it's now freezing on the chute. I hope it't true...Going up Monday night again. No sled on the way down though...

Weather link: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=PQR&llon=-121.711439&rlon=-121.711439&tlat=45.331173&blat=45.331173&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=164&map.y=61&TextType=2

Edited by LonelySummit

I climbed it this Saturday AM, and got hit by quite a few large pieces of Ice on the upper traverse. Some of the hits where as big as dinner plates, including the one that hit my shoulder, which is still in pain as I write this.

If you go, take the lower traverse boot pack, it's out of the way of most of the falling junk, and pretty safe. You still might get hit, but at least that's just climber ice fall, and not the stuff coming off the upper towers that make no noise, nor do you see it until it hits you.

stime,

beautiful pictures - what kind of camera do you have? Wish we got up earlier on Tuesday but we had a beautiful sunrise summit last sunday with lonelysummit who is on here. The weak front pushing through on Tuesday dressed the sky up nicely.

like your website too - do any northern appalachian hiking or mostly around NC?

Thanks, guys. I shoot with a Canon 5D + 17-40 L. As for hiking, I don't spend much time on the AT i.e. the Green Tunnel.

Did you end up climbing? I'm sure I chatted with you at some point if you did.

Yep, Tuesday morning with the group of 8. Were you the half-dead guy at the Hogsback? It's a long day on the southside.

That doesn't sound like me. I was on a bit of a speed ascent and happened to be the first person on the summit for the day and didn't talk to anyone in the group of 8. You were guys were on the Hogsback starting the high traverse (for whatever reason) as I was coming down around 6 AM.

green tunnel... yeah compared to out west. The reason I asked is because through the whites and mahoosucs (southern maine) there is a fair amount of above treeline..well heck, probably almost all of it out east without heading towards the torngat mountains in northern labrador.

again, the pictures look great

Edited by Water