Comments on aliens...

RuMR

dude...just leave your rack on the ground then...

the above post is about as dumb as it gets...are you kevbone???

metal fatigue above the threshold requires millions of cycles, metal below the threshold...infinite...

Edited by RuMR

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all,

Any safety gear no matter what is the testing agency is not fail proof…the way I see it one will pay for the connivance of having the gear and not manufacturing it. one can always climb Elbsandsteingebirge style where making the “gear” and” testing” it is up to the individual. It is not that I give the manufactures a tickets for lower their QC all I am saying is that one cannot blindly trust anything one did not made, inspected and tested throughout its manufacturing process and life. The method of redundancy while placing gear is there for a reason the method of old school of the leader should never fall is there b/c of hard lessons learned…even with individual testing (of every piece) methods for half strength it still will not be fail proof… I wonder how many pieces were subjected to 2 or 3 half load testing before metal fatigue or how many half loads testing on the same specimen will accrue before failure and where the average failure point/s is/are …

As far as the manufacture liability concern…same oll story we have laws and regulation to obey by so whatever is their claims and advertisement they will held liable against it with help of a good lawyer…still till the next red flag will raise and it will… one should use judgment and caution when trusting their life or anything to that effect.

Choada_Boy...here is another one ...go for it

i am happy to say that i walk away from this post with some solace: solace that this post is so lacking in sanity that no one can be swayed by it in any way.

You guys sound like second graders throwing tantrums. I think iceicebaby brings up some excllent points...wait a second...no I don't. In fact, his logic is so flawed, in so many ways, I can't begin to formulate a rational response to what can only be seen as clear evidence of organic brain disease. You do, however, present some previously nonexistent logical fallacies. Congratulations on a unique human acheivement. Please tell me your job in no way has you responsible for the safety of other people. Even if you collect grocery carts, lives are at risk.

Seriously, though, I agree with his assertion that climbing is an inherently dangerous activity. The equipment that we use is supposed to be designed and manufactured in such a way so that proper use of the equipment will mitigate that risk. By purchasing equipment that has supposedly been tested to an international standard of performance and quality assurance, I should be confident that I can trust that the equipment will perform to that standard. This is clearly not the case here.

IIB is exhibiting what can be called "Fault Normalization", where out of specification materials and systems performance in "critical" situations becomes normalized due to the inherent risk of the activity. Materials and systems should perform to specification, because those specifications define the risk I am willing to accept. That better, billcoe?

IIB- I don't think anyone 'blindly trusts' any piece of gear. It's not too much for one to expect a piece of gear that in all likelihood will hold their life at some point will perform in the manner in which it was advertised. Aliens, as Aric's work has shown, do not perform at the level at which they are advertised to perform. Also, please quit posting drivel that is unabashedly irreverent of any grammatical adherence.

Aric, Thanks again for all your time, money and work. I hope that CCH will either get their act together or be shut down before more climbers become injured or worse.

JBC- Do you mean someone other than me? As I mentioned a page back, I not only contacted with CPSC but also met with one of their investigators on Tuesday to review my results and do some documentation of her own using the huge pile of broken gear from the testing. She left with a stack of papers ~1.5" thick and a rather good understanding of the problems I found and why they're significant.

On a related note the UIAA was also sent copies of the results (at their request) a couple weeks ago, but I've not followed up with them to see if they're going to do anything about it.

-a.

Edited by Aric Datesman

As if on cue, there's this post from 2007 that someone just bumped over on gearhead thread. CCH called the guy who broke an early dimpled one a liar and then just walked away. Then other Aliens started to break. CCH ignored it and ignored it and ignored it. God bless Paul Fish of Mountain Gear.

MOUNTAIN GEAR ROCKS IS A HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

I love the fact that when all that Alien cam failure stuff started, with the CCH folks totally denying that they had an issue and just sitting with their thumbs up their asses picking their noses, Paul Fish of Mountain Gear just grabbed a bunch and paid to have them independently pull tested.

Shitloads failed at shockingly low foot lbs. and CCH was BITCHSLAPPED UPSIDE THE HEAD and FORCED to recall and fix all the dimpled ones.

Paul Fish alone may have saved many lives by his actions. We need to support and encourage folks like this every chance we have.

Thank yew Mountain gear!

Mountain Gear site for internet sales link

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/746786/gonew/1/Mountain_Gear_props#UNREAD