[TR] Lyman Basin Solo Ski-in: 5/15 to 5/19 - Potpourri 5/15/2009

telemarker

Trip: Lyman Basin Solo Ski-in: 5/15 to 5/19 - Potpourri

Date: 5/15/2009

Trip Report:

Okay, Mark is going to kill me, but it was just too gorgeous up there to not post a little something from my extended tour at Lyman Basin.

I've been inspired to spend an extended tour up there ever since drooling over Scurlock's photos of Chiwawa and Bonanza. I took two weeks off from work just to ensure good weather. Finally got that break for the weekend of 5/15, launching off on the LOL on Thursday up to Holden. Bootied a couple books from the library then headed up to higher ground on Friday when the skies cleared.

Day three, I skied this headwall that I don't know if it is part of Red Mountain or Chiwawa?? I skinned up and over Spider Gap, then around the backside towards the top of the peak just above the gap. Anyways, it was a great ski, the snow held and was a bit of powder in an otherwise three days of mush. Lots of hangfire above in the form of sagging cornices. In fact, there were significant wet slides all three days I spent in the upper basins, some in the form of natural release slabs with 8 inch crowns, since that was the snow total from the last storm.

Day four, I got an earlier start and skinned straight up Lyman Glacier, reaching the summit of Chiwawa in three hours. I then skied down the North Face and then down 3,000 feet to the basin, just in time to watch the fireworks (from a safe distance on a rock) as avalanche after avalanche proceeded to bury my descent route, both on Red Mtn. and Chiwawa. In fact, if you look closely you can see the crown of the huge natural release slab on the slope I had just skied 10 minutes earlier.

Day five, I needed a more relaxed day and skied Cloudy Peak.

Day six, with the weather moving in, blisters on my heels, food in short supply and pleased with my efforts, I headed back down to God and black bears.

Of note, the Isella Glacier went HUGE this winter, most likely with the Chinook.

Paradise:

alowerlook.jpg

Descent down headwall. Is the peak on the left part of Chiwawa or Red Mtn.?

adayonedescent.JPG

Another look of the route on my way up to Chiwawa the following day:

redmtndescent.jpg

This ought to get your attention. Buck Mountain from Chiwawa's summit:

buck.JPG

Phelps ridge:

achiwawaridge.JPG

My descent down Chiwawa to Lyman Glacier. You can see the large slab that cut loose on the same slope I skied, then another point release avy that occurred about 5 minutes after that, and the loose slides that I cut on my way down.

chiwawaslab.jpg

Bonanza!

aloomingbonanza.JPG

Cloudy Peak and Northstar.

acloudypeak2.jpg

A mighty Fortress is our God.

anincredibleview.JPG

Celebrating life and solitude!

aahh.JPG

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Chiwawa in the picture.

Very sweet pics John - congrats on completing such a glorious adventure.

Glad you got out there in good window of weather!

Wish I had all that sun on the Spearhead Traverse.

Ahh, the Spearhead! Did you complete it?

Yes! Great trip despite a day or so of wild weather.