[TR] Sherpa - Northeast Couloir to East Ridge 5/17/2009

JasonG

Trip: Sherpa - Northeast Couloir to East Ridge

Date: 5/17/2009

Trip Report:

I don't have much detail to add to MCash's excellent TR from a few years ago: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468621

But . . . it is a great route that deserves more attention from those looking for a fun spring outing. You just might want to go a little later than we did this year (although in most years it would probably be perfect timing). A fair bit of snow and ice on the rock made for tedious/scary going in the heat. The gully was in fat shape though, making for a fast ascent/descent. Having both been to the top before, Tim and I stopped at the summit rap station due to a sketchy snow blob on the summit slab. What can I say, I'm a dad now.

Some Pics:

IMG_0365.JPG

Argonaut on the walk in. Tim stayed in the basin and climbed its excellent gully route on Monday with another friend.

IMG_0370.JPG

Stuart

IMG_0344.JPG

A look at the route from close up. Obvious gully to left skyline.

IMG_0351.JPG

Tim charging up the gully

IMG_0358.JPG

On the summit ridge

IMG_0357.JPG

Sherpa balanced rock gives props to Jens

IMG_0342.JPG

Don't forget your spoon!

IMG_0363.JPG

The post holing was epic

Gear Notes:

Half rope, a few pieces of rock gear, helmet, axe, crampons (didn't use).

Approach Notes:

Mountaineer Creek, stay left. Although we didn't do this variation, I hear it is fun to opt for the boulder field rather than staying on the valley floor- esp. in spring

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the soft snow conditions we experienced, it was pretty easy to descend the gully after doing a couple of rappels and some down climbing on the ridge. If the south side of the ridge was melted out, and the gully was quite icy, it might be better to head over to the col. I guess it depends on conditions . . .