Darrington on Sunday?

Greg_W

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sunday, June 2, Gregw, Mattp, Matt, and Partner climbed on Bluebery Hill. The weather was good, and the "Granite Sidewalk" was almost dry.

Here's Gregw, leading the fourth pitch of the West Buttress route:

gregwld.jpg

After that lead, we simu-lclimbed about 350 feet to the Blueberry Terrace, walked down around the corner and headed up toward the top on some run out but gradually easing climbing. Here's Gregw topping out, about 100 feet below the summit of Exfoliation Dome:

gregtop.JPG

Matt Heller (Matt on CascadeClimbers.com) and his partner climbed a more challenging line nearby. Here's Matt on lead:

mattld.jpg

Also on the dome was DavidW, with his partner "the safety man." We never saw them, however, because they were on the "backside."

Exfoliation dome makes a great climb, involving full on mountain climbing skills in addition to multi-pitch rock climbing (the easiest route is nine pitches long on top of over a thousand feet of scrambling). The climbing is spectacular and the views magnificent, but be prepared for run-out slab, wet moss, loose rock, routefinding issues, and missing rappel stations. A good time was had by all.

[ 06-03-2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: mattp ]

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Exfoliation dome makes a great climb, involving full on mountain climbing skills in addition to multi-pitch rock climbing (the easiest route is nine pitches long on top of over a thousand feet of scrambling). The climbing is spectacular and the views magnificent, but be prepared for run-out slab, wet moss, loose rock, routefinding issues, and missing rappel stations. A good time was had by all.

hearing that makes me quiver....... [big Drink][big Grin][Cool]

nice work boyz

quote:

The climbing is spectacular and the views magnificent, but be prepared for run-out slab, wet moss, loose rock, routefinding issues, and missing rappel stations. A good time was had by all.

For how long will you mislead the masses?

Climbing up at Blueberry hill yesterday with Matt was just great!!! Good times were really had by all. The area is beautiful, the granite is solid, the climbing wonderful. The long approach slabs and the few mossy spots on top were easily forgotten. Getting up there was well worth it!!!

[big Grin]

Blueberry Hill rocks!! The West Buttress route is non-stop fun (even the runout parts). There is still snow up to the summit, but we had some good looks down the other side onto Witch Doctor Wall. Still a lot of snow on the ground on that side. Great views of Green Giant Buttress up the valley as well.

Greg [big Drink]

Jeff Hansel and I went to 3:00 rock on Saterday. We climbed Silent Running, the first pitch of the Kone and the first pitch of Tidbits. First pitch of Tidbits needs cleaning at the top and a new bolt or 2. At top of first pitch there is 2 lines of bolts, the ones on the riight are new. With a little scrubbing and a bolt or 2 below the first belay station this would be a great route. It would be nice not to have to trash the aproach gully to get to the first belay. I was not feeling to good so I had some trouble with my head, but managed to have a good time anyway. Saw Dave W. and sisushumi (sp?) A little bit of snow at the bottom of the rock. Bugs are just startinng to come out and feed. Some hikers reported that the trail was passable up to the ridge top.

Dave-

It sounds as if you did not climb the first pitch of Tidbits. Instead of "trashing" the approach gully, try the face to the left.

That right-hand second pitch (actually the third pitch) is called Gastroblast. Tidbits goes up and left, with fun face climbing using edges and side-pulls. Both climbs need bolts replaced on their fourth pitches. Gastroblast has cool moves on the bulge, eh?

Here's the topo.

-Matt

[ 06-03-2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: mattp ]

quote:

Half of PubClub was there. We should have hooked up for the "19th pitch."

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Next time...

Nice pictures Mattp! When do we see the mini guide to Darrington published in Rock & Ice? Oh, that's right. All the climbs in Darrington have horrendous approaches, wet mossy run out slabs and continually exfoliating flakes. [Wink] Who wants to climb on that?

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

hearing that makes me quiver.......

You'll find Blueberry Hill pretty tame if your idea of a good time includes mud-filled chimeys, old bolts in sandstone, and undeveloped crags in Leavenworth.

Al -

I'm pretty sure that, as my topo indicates, the fourth pitch of tidbits still remains to have the old bolts replaced. I believe you would find it currently to be VERY run out on VERY old bolts. The third pitch, the one that climbs through "the big A" and the pitch that is the best one on the route, was rebolted about ten years ago. As Dave Schuldt indicated, the second pitch (the first if you take the "approach gully" instead of climbing clean slabs to the left) needs a little attention from a brush saw and scrub brush, and there are one or two old spinners there so rippers would be a good call, but it is in my opinion safe at the moment and the crux bulge is protected by good gear placements. At least one of the old spinners can be backed up with a sling girth hitched on the tree that needs pruning. AlpineK - do you make house calls?

- Matt

I've been working on a new Darrington guide for a couple of seasons now. Apparently others are rumored to be involved in the same process but so far its just rumors. Anyway..... my project is an e-book, on a disk with lots of pictures, archives and little movie clips linked to the topo's. I'd welcome all input..... if you've got beta, comments, photo's, complaints, good stories or topo's you'd like to share I'd be very grateful. I plan on including whatever new projects get done this season and have the book ready this time next year.

Dave,

An E-guide is a great idea. I recently used Chris McNamara's "Road to Astroman," which can only be bought online and downloaded as a PDF file. Very cool. The guide has great detail and the convenience of being a download was nice-- even nicer because one of my partners paid for it and printed it. The pages fit nicely into a three ring binder and whatever climb we were doing that day was easily removed and folded up in our pocket. I suggest you look at the guides that Chris Mac is publishing and try to replicate his model. I think his website is www.supertopo.com . I don't know how useful video would be, unless you can play it on a Palm or an iPod and anyway who wants to bring a PDA with them into the wilderness.

Look forward to seeing the guide!

The film clips are fun and with a CD (as opposed to a download), there will be plenty of room for frivolity. I don't think he intends them to be much more than entertaining, but they could certainly be that -- imagine, an endlessly repeating loop of Ray on the 420th pitch, that includes a virus such that it fires up on your workstation every day at 4:20.