[TR] Hozomeen Mountain north peak - northeast face ski descent 5/17/2009

dmTabke

Trip: Hozomeen Mountain north peak - northeast face ski descent

Date: 5/17/2009

Trip Report:

Made the long drive from Seattle to Vancouver (to pick up Sky) to Ross Lake via Hope and the Silver Skagit Road, the goal to attempt a ski descent on Hozomeen Mountain. We were hiking up the Skyline II trail by around 430PM.

Switched smoothly to skis at ~5,500' and continued up the Hozomeen Ridge trail into the night. At 11PM we took our "alpine stop" and set up our bivouacs at a large col at 5,700' about .5 miles north of the US/Canada border. We were joined by Andy at around 3 or 4 AM (!!). He rode a 30km mountain bike race near Squamish in the morning, but insisted on trying to find us anyway (!!).

Left bivy at about 6AM and we could have been a lot earlier. The ridge linked effortlessly into the climb, a great route! As Sky said, May is the time of "Slurpy Death," and we cowered in the shadows of the climber's left side of the face as the early rays cleaned the loose snow off the rocks and snow to the right. Climbing crux was about 20 feet of low angle ice and rock. Water was percolating, and luckily we had a a thermos of strong coffee to soothe the resulting cravings.

Skied from summit and were able to easily and safely (??) trigger wetslides off the afore mentioned sun slopes, which took out a lot of snow and left the route's two exposed spots looking a bit safer. We made quick work of the down climb and were soon decompressing back at camp after our stressful grapple with the Slurpy Death. Packed up and ran home, cars by 645PM.

Sky scoping from the international boundary.

P1060319.jpg

Crux.

P1060329.jpg

Sky. Note debris. After skiing, we gain the ridge to the left (Hozomeen Ridge trail) which is followed over several high points until linking up with Skyline II and descending the most clearly distinguished gully near the top left of photo.

P1060341.jpg

Scenic trail!

P1060350.jpg

Gear Notes:

24oz Tecate Can x2

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what Kerouac would think of this.

Hozomeen, Hozomeen, most beautiful mountain I ever seen ... but what a horror when I first saw that void the first night of my staying on Desolation Peak waking up from deep fogs of 20 hours to a starlit night suddenly loomed by Hozomeen with his two sharp points, right in my window black... Over 70 days I had to stare at it. -JK

LINK

JackSmall.jpg

Nice photos and accurate account, dmT.

Post-control work shows Hozone pollution.

postcontrol.jpg

Andy enjoys the best turns of the day while finishing the approach on the ridge.

goodski.jpg

Alternate view of the crux

crux.jpg

DmT skis quickly through the supreme slurpy-death zone, or as Andy might have said, "Holy fuck! Get me the fuck out of here."

tabski.jpg

Hozomeen, Hozomeen, most beautiful mountain I ever seen ... but what a horror when I first saw that void the first night of my staying on Desolation Peak waking up from deep fogs of 20 hours to a starlit night suddenly loomed by Hozomeen with his two sharp points, right in my window black... Over 70 days I had to stare at it. -JK

LINK

JackSmall.jpg

i doubt he'd be sober enough to think anything sensible of it at all! sky n' company's antics impress me far more than proto-hippie-hedonism :)

LINK

JackSmall.jpg

i doubt he'd be sober enough to think anything sensible of it at all! sky n' company's antics impress me far more than proto-hippie-hedonism :)

:lmao: Kerouac and Hemmingway are drunk right now, contemplating the nature of an adventurous lifestyle. Jaffy is the one who would really appreciate it!