500 Foot Fall on Hood

Peakpimp

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Busy times up there this past weekend. Link to Saturday's rescue

"...Deputies said the climbing party was well-equipped with mountain locator units..."

So WTF is that supposed to mean? She gets clipped by some ice and her party stops the bleeding. But then, all of a sudden, she's promptly rescued, just because her party was wearing MLUs??? From where does a comment like that originate? :wazup:

Props to PMR and the other climbers who delayed/aborted their summit aspirations to help with both rescues.

well, obviously they used the MLU to stop the bleeding. duh.

So what is going on with this site? I logged on expecting at least three pages of speculation about the cause of this accident and whether or not the guy is an idiot... when did cc.com get so subdued and respectful? sheesh.

was at the mazamas lodge on satuday evening before we headed up and heard from some folks there (don't think they were on that climb but maybe had been up that day). Not sure of the sequence of events for the saturday accident, but it was said that a crampon came off the climb leader's foot and then he lost his footing slipped down into her. So... she gets hit with ice, falls some distance, leader rushes (maybe?) towards and coincidentally the crampon comes off one foot and then he slides.

i was an alternate on a mazamas friday night/saturday WCR hood climb.. glad i did not get onto it.

I haven't heard all the details about the 500 footer (yow!), but from what I've read it sounds like the injured gal and her party did a good job taking care of the situation and getting back down to the top of palmer. :tup: :tup:

Yeah, I saw them lowering her with a rope on saturday morning, and they where moving down the hill pretty fast. I was pretty impressed by the teamwork that crew was doing to get the injured party down on their own self reliance. 45 minutes later two PMR dudes where running down the side of crater rock, and stopped to ask if I had seen an accident, and I was , like, "dude, I saw them, like, lowering someone down, like, 45 minutes ago"...

Just a quick Photo of the fall line for those who don't know...

DSC_4525_edit.jpg

This was taken from the "poop deck" on the Hogsback. I'm not sure of the distance of the fall (500ft sounds correct), but if you follow where the climbers are on the "top" of the back, they are about to traverse left. You may have to increase the contrast to see the path. I believe that is where the fall started. If correction is needed; feel free to reply. This is also in the first hour after the fall, notice the sun is not yet up. Wishing John a speedy recovery.

I talked to a friend who was climbing with John when he fell. Here's what I got from him: They were descending the Old Chute pretty close to the summit ridge, and John somehow lost his footing and fell. He tried to self arrest but got no purchase. Was doing okay - sliding feet first - until he hit the area where the crevasse is, then caught air and lost control of his position. He was knocked unconscious for a good while, but folks were able to get to him pretty quickly. The woman who was hit by ice was with a different team.

From what I was told this evening, John fractured vertebrae in his neck, broke his jaw, and suffered facial/nose injuries from the fall, but he's going to be okay. I haven't seen him yet, so this is still just third-party news.

He's a strong guy with a great sense of humor, and he has tons of support to help him through this accident.

We love you, John! Get well soon. :kisss:

I left T-line real early Monday morning. As we were approaching Hogsback we looked up to see a guy making the traverse across from Hogsback to the Old Chute. WHILE WE WERE WATCHING we saw the guy appear to slip, flail around, and fall several hundred feet to the bottom near Hot Rocks. When we got up to Hogsback the guy had managed to shake himself off and he was OK. He said that a piece of ice hit him and caused him to lose balance. He tried to arrest but couldn't get any purchase. He broke a crampon and trekking pole but was otherwise OK. After talking with him about the frequency and size of the ice fall coming down we decided to not go for the summit. We talked to another party who had just decended the Old Chute and they said it was a near-constant stream of ice coming down.