Hood ice/rock fall danger this weekend.

scm007

my 2 cents, Traversing high above the hogsback below the headwall/cleaver with all that rime with previous reports of ice falling is not my idea of a climbing route in condition yet this is the route most climbers are choosing..."since it has a bootpack, it must be safe" sorry but I was referring to ice falling down from the rim itself.

It seems that climbers have a very short term memory, (comes in handy sometimes!!!) but, like yes this has happened before at the same location and it will happen again cause guess what? the same conditions will appear again. But I still see climbers on the high traverse when warm temps are present and ice fall is reported and evident. I have traversed high myself but not under present conditions and much prefer the drop down off the hogsback through the fumeroles to the WCR

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was up there Friday night/Sat a.m., and my buddy and I got to the plateau above Crater Rock, took a look at everyone heading up the Old Chute and decided to call it and head back down. We had been pelted by small ice crap all morning coming up in the dark near Crater Rock, with the occasional baseball sized chunk flying by. A tad unnerving, since the last few times I've seen some the ice balls and stuff coming down it was due to climbers above me and it was in the chute. This was just on the east side of Crater Rock with no one above us. Crater Rock was really shooting stuff down when we were up there.

We came upon the team with the injured woman on our way down (we knew some of them) and were impressed with how calm and collected they all were considering the crap storm of ice and rock that hit them onthe other side of Crater Rock.

My two cents: wait awhile for all this crap to come down or wait for a colder night. We got to the top or Crater Rock at 5 am and a ton of stuff was already starting to roll down the inside of the crater, and the sun hadn't even hit the upper crater area yet. We knew that if we pushed for the summit, we could probably make it up and down before things really warmed up above the chute, but we listened to our guts and called it. It was a weird warm night up there.