Basic Glacier Ski Recommendations

ChuckC

I recently finished a glacier skiing/crevasse rescue class and am looking for some not so intimidating glaciers to try to gain some basic experience on. Any recommendations on where to start in WA? I'd prefer something not super steep or hairy to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend getting up to the Ingraham Flats camping area on Rainier. It will get you some glacier experience - crossing the Cowlitz - get you some exp dealing with scree - Cathedral Gap - and will give you a good descent - Muir to Paradise.

I recommend this b/c there will prob be a pretty established route and many other ppl. This may make you feel safer, but I wouldn't head onto any glacier without being able to execute a rescue unassisted, though. Any snowfield will be just fine for practicing.

Pete has a good suggestion. If you are willing to do a bit more of skis-on-pack walking, some of the classic north cascade glacier routes make excellent skis. The sulphide glacier on mt shuksan is very tame and offers you the option to summit if you want. I also love glacier peak for skiing but access is still very difficult due to multiple washouts over the past decade.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...