Le Absinthe

Pete_H

" ... While a little absinthe can be quite pleasant, a lot, as with any other strong spirit, will make you drunk. Perhaps, if you are of an Oscar Wilde bent, too much absinthe will do to you what it did to him: 'After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were,' he said in one of his many disquisitions on absinthe. 'After the second you see things as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world ...'"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/dining/reviews/13wine.html?pagewanted=1&em

:brew:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absinthe makes you crazy and criminal, provokes epilepsy and tuberculosis, and has killed thousands of people. It makes a ferocious beast of man, a martyr of woman, and a degenerate of the infant, it disorganizes and ruins the family and menaces the future of the country.

Absinthe makes you crazy and criminal, provokes epilepsy and tuberculosis, and has killed thousands of people. It makes a ferocious beast of man, a martyr of woman, and a degenerate of the infant, it disorganizes and ruins the family and menaces the future of the country.

You make that sound like a bad thing...

POPULAR LORE HAS IT that absinthe, the potent wormwood-flavored alcohol, causes hallucinations, epileptic-like attacks, and bouts of madness for those who drink it. Scientists studying absinthe in recent years have shown that modern versions of the spirit contain too little thujone, the key psychoactive chemical present in the wormwood herb, Artemisia absinthium, to cause the reported psychedelic effects. But the myths about absinthe being more drug than drink persist in part because of century-old tales about famous artists and writers who heavily imbibed absinthe and vacillated between periods of high creativity and insanity.

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/email/html/cen_86_i18_8618sci2.html

I started drinking absinthe after reading Hemingway years ago. So far I haven't gone insane.........

As far as I know it's still illegal in the US, but there are many places to get it. Check out spiritscorner.com

Deva is a good brand.