• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Curiousg

Questions on Vantage Area rock

Just have a few questions for anyone familiar with the area. I'm looking at doing a weekend trip to Frenchman Coullee the weekend of May 30/31, and speaking to some guys I know in Seattle a few issues popped up that no one I know here could answer.

Where's the best close by spot to camp? In the parking lot? Across the river in the state park? I don't need a full built campsite, but I don't want to run afoul of any unwritten rules for the area.

What are some of the better books/sites with route info? This should be pretty easy to answer for anyone who has been there.

When is rattlesnake season? I've heard this is something I should at least be AWARE of, so figured I would ask.

Thanks.

The campsites just beyond the feathers is the normal campsite. It is described in the frenchman coulee book. There are rattlesnakes, so keep an eye out. In my experience they tend to be off the trail, but sometimes close. Do walk with heavy feet so the snakes can feel the vibrations. Last time I was there a portapotty was present, but it was overfilled. Good luck on that part.

Theres no real facilities, but there are lots of places to camp, as was suggested earlier, just down the road from the feathers is pretty decent. I believe REI in seattle has that frenchmen guidebook, and if not theres a shop here in ellensburg that does. Rettlesnake season is on, a friend of mine is doing research on em and caught a dozen in the basin last friday, so be loud and keep your eyes peeled.

You can camp within easy walking distance/eye sight to the Feathers. Also a few weekends ago there were porta pottys...

There were no porta pottys yesterday.

A mountaineering club from BC was down there for a week and brought their own.

If you're nice to them maybe they'll give you the key to the lock on it :)

I am planning on taking a bunch of children to Vantage soon. Any bathrooms out there yet?

Closet actual bathroom we've found is there are some bathrooms open during the day at the boat launch in Vantage, right off the exit.

Although nothing beats dropping one on top of a mesa...