Questions on Vantage Area rock

Just have a few questions for anyone familiar with the area. I'm looking at doing a weekend trip to Frenchman Coullee the weekend of May 30/31, and speaking to some guys I know in Seattle a few issues popped up that no one I know here could answer.

Where's the best close by spot to camp? In the parking lot? Across the river in the state park? I don't need a full built campsite, but I don't want to run afoul of any unwritten rules for the area.

What are some of the better books/sites with route info? This should be pretty easy to answer for anyone who has been there.

When is rattlesnake season? I've heard this is something I should at least be AWARE of, so figured I would ask.

Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The campsites just beyond the feathers is the normal campsite. It is described in the frenchman coulee book. There are rattlesnakes, so keep an eye out. In my experience they tend to be off the trail, but sometimes close. Do walk with heavy feet so the snakes can feel the vibrations. Last time I was there a portapotty was present, but it was overfilled. Good luck on that part.

Theres no real facilities, but there are lots of places to camp, as was suggested earlier, just down the road from the feathers is pretty decent. I believe REI in seattle has that frenchmen guidebook, and if not theres a shop here in ellensburg that does. Rettlesnake season is on, a friend of mine is doing research on em and caught a dozen in the basin last friday, so be loud and keep your eyes peeled.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am planning on taking a bunch of children to Vantage soon. Any bathrooms out there yet?

Closet actual bathroom we've found is there are some bathrooms open during the day at the boat launch in Vantage, right off the exit.

Although nothing beats dropping one on top of a mesa...