Mt Baker - Road to Coleman closed for the season

waterboy

Hello,

Can you please help by writing an e-mail to the US Forest Service and ask them to reconsider not opening the Glacier Creek Road (#37)until the fall?

This road provides access to the Coleman Glacier Climbing route, the North Ridge route, and ice cragging on the lower Coleman glacier.

Given the facts that:

1) The Federal Governement is almost literally begging to give away tax dollars as part of the stimulus package, and...

2) The Road accesses the #1 glacier climbing destination in North America.

I don't know how this got missed, but clearly climbers are not being represented as a user group.

The e-mail should be addressed to Jim Mitchell: jbmitchell@fs.fed.us and Jon Vanderheyden: jvanderheyden@fs.fed.us

Phone number for the Sedro-Wooley ranger station is: (360) 856-5700, ext 0.

I apologize but I don't know who the appropriate congressional representative would be.

So if I'm going about this wrong, I'm open to other suggestions. If there is a coordinated interest group already going, I'm happy to get on board. I would think that guide companies have some revenue at stake, as well.

Thank you.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, here's the information I saw. It looks like damage to a section of the road. Pretty standard, no?

Glacier Creek Road (FS Road 39) CLOSED. Storm damage that washed out Glacier Creek Road has closed access for snowmobilers and hikers. The road is closed at the Thompson Creek Bridge crossing, eliminating access to the Heliotrope Ridge trailhead and the Mt. Baker Vista Viewpoint. Engineers estimate the road will not be open until October or November.

source: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/index.shtml#glaciercrkrd

more info on roads/conditions

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/mt-baker-climbing-notes.shtml

...or was there another reason they closed it (or will take that long?)

The upside to this is fewer crowds on the coleman glacier side. We were up there yesterday, and saw no one on the CD. It's about four miles and 2000' from the washout to the trailhead, and bikeable nearly to the trailhead. Another week and you should be able to bike all the way.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone biked or hiked from the washout? 4 miles isn't that bad...but I assume you can't park at the washout, so what's the total travel to the trailhead?

Biked/skinned it about a month ago. It's not bad. It's probably a total of 6 miles from the "official" parking to the washout. We were trying for a car to car trip, which made for a pretty long day, even though we turned around at Pumice ridge due to weather.