anybody want to hate on snowmobiles for a while?

ropegoat

Last week, Mike Weigle, the owner of Canadian Mountain Holidays (big heli-ski outfit in the Monashees) called for all bc sledding to be banned in BC due to all the deaths and general stupidity. In part, he cited "stress to his staff" because of all the body recoveries they were doing, including one where the victim's face had been chewed off by wild animals.

I hadn't heard about that, but I doubt it will ever fly. The snomo industry is far too organized and has money...

Just a point - Wiegle is not the owner of CMH - he owns Mike Wiegle Heli skiing...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you guys mean...I thought to myself when I was getting towed into Joffre Creek this winter, man these snowmobilers are assholes, who do they think they are saving me 2 hours of approach time. You should be banned from BC backcountry... :yawn:

3470343978_c2d5023269.jpg

I know what you guys mean...I thought to myself when I was getting towed into Joffre Creek this winter, man these snowmobilers are assholes, who do they think they are saving me 2 hours of approach time. You should be banned from BC backcountry... :yawn:

3470343978_c2d5023269.jpg

it's clear why you find this a good thing -looking at some dude's ass for 4 miles. :grlaf:

Nothing much changes. I saw snowmobilers ignoring the wilderness boundary on the N side of Adams back around 1983. I hate snowmobiles. I could see having one if you lived in the Methow, to be used to pull a little tracksetting implement around your property for grooming nordic ski tracks. Recreational snowmobiling is simply incompatible, inappropriate, and environmentally damaging and unsustainable. Bunch of fat fucks.

oh, so you are one of the fat lazy redneck fucks then too?

:laf: If only you knew.

For what it is or isnt worth the local MT snowmobiler organization helped out greatly in fighting for getting the road plowed for Hyalite canyon.

IMO as access to our public lands becomes more and more threatened/limited through privatization fighting for what you and I want will require a louder, more unified voice. To accomplish this will require getting more climbers to give a shit (good luck) or aligning with other user groups that have similar goals (i.e. perserve access). Like snowmobilers, hunters, packers, etc etc

Yes they shouldn’t have violated the wilderness boundary. Yes snowmobiles are noisy. Life isn’t fair sometimes.

:tup:

Word.

For what it is or isnt worth the local MT snowmobiler organization helped out greatly in fighting for getting the road plowed for Hyalite canyon.

IMO as access to our public lands becomes more and more threatened/limited through privatization fighting for what you and I want will require a louder, more unified voice. To accomplish this will require getting more climbers to give a shit (good luck) or aligning with other user groups that have similar goals (i.e. perserve access). Like snowmobilers, hunters, packers, etc etc

Yes they shouldn’t have violated the wilderness boundary. Yes snowmobiles are noisy. Life isn’t fair sometimes.

:tup::tup:

I'm going to stand next to my boys, John Frieh, JayB and Fairweather. We should be looking at how to increase funding and general support for public lands and our management priorities are not necessarily adverse to the snowmobile crowd. I'm for human powered over gasoline powered recreation, for sure, and I have had my share of conflicts with rev-heads, but we all want access and I'm pretty sure that most of us will agree that different places will be appropriate for different activities and that those pesky snowmobilers or climbers or fisherman are not likely to disappear. Most probably even agree that there may be some areas where it would be cool to run natural or game preserves not for recreational use or minimally so. But we disagree when it comes to how much and where, for sure. There is a lot of common ground and we should be looking to build broader coalitions, not fighting with other interest groups.

:tup::tup::tup:

The human-vs-gas powered access divide reminds me of the fly-vs-bait fisherman divide.

There can be some serious demographic/cultural divides to cross, but in my experience - a bit of waving, smiling, and chatting (like 30 seconds) is all that's required to keep the overt mutual loathing to a minimum during the interactions.

If someone is high-marking above you on a loaded slope, though...

The human-vs-gas powered access divide reminds me of the fly-vs-bait fisherman divide.

also the trad versus sport semi divide

old versus new

I wish I had a snowmobile...would save a lot of time in winter on those logging roads.

oh, so you are one of the fat lazy redneck fucks then too?

:laf: If only you knew.

:tup:

Word.

then don't be support big goerment?