Another Adams Question.

Jdoherty

So im looking forward to attemping adams in late june or early july for my first ever summit and i still have a few questions.

What would you recommend for a good boot that doesn't break the budget? i got a good pair of double lowa mountaineering boots but they weigh 7 pounds and seem like they might be too much for a adams.

I'm hoping to camp at lunch counter i was wondering if when people make there summit attempt from there do they leave gear behind in there tents like tent, sleeping bag etc.?

Thank You, Justin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wear what you have. Do some lower-altitude training in them and they won't seem so heavy when "The Big Day" comes. Shit, I wear either a pair of La Sportiva Makalus or Koflach Verticals, depending upon the season. Toughen up or tough it out.

Regarding leaving stuff at LC, yeah, everybody does it. No sense hauling all that shit up the hill unless you're skiing down the SW chutes. And if you were doing that, you'd be on a day trip anyway.

Don't worry about taking an MLB or a tauntaun... that's only required equipment on The Mountain of Doom just south of you. :)

Double boots are way overkill for Adams. You can do it in a pair of light hikers really, unless it was a winter attmept or something. Adams south route is basically a long hike, nothing technical. Bring crampons, but you probably won't use them. Bring an axe and shell pants for glissade. You can leave all your gear at the lunch counter or where ever you decide to camp, no one will mess with it. It is usually very windy up there, so anything you set down that is loose will blow away, including your tent.

Unless you really want to camp on the mountain, you can do Adams in one day from the Cold Springs campground, just get an early start.