Tahoma Glacier route approach info

paramagic

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how we went in a few years ago: Head up the Westside Road as far as you can (if it's open). If it's not open plan on an extra three miles. Then hike up Tahoma Creek. There was flagging to follow a couple of years ago that was helpful since the trail is mostly washed out. Of course, you'll probably be in snow this time of year. Continue up the trail at the base of Emerald Ridge to a pass at 5600 ft. From there you head cross country up the ridge to the northeast and gain the Tahoma Glacier about 6,000 ft. It was a long day up to 9,000 ft even without snow when we did it.

Flotation will likely be required.

Edited by scottk

If you haven't already left this may help. I went up there 2 years ago. The info Scottk gave is right on, but there is another option if the Tahoma glacier looks too broken up...from St. Andrews Park go up onto the Puyallup cleaver and drop down onto the Puyallup glacier and head up to St. Andrews rock for your high camp. You would then drop down to the Tahoma and ascend from there. If you take this option I suggest not following the entire Puyallup cleaver...drop onto the Puyallup glacier just before Tokaloo Rock and ascend the Puyallup glacier just to the north of the cleaver to about 9200 feet for your camp. I'm including a couple of pictures...hope this helps. Have a great trip!DSC02585.JPGDSC02519.JPG