Wilson Glacier Headwall beta wanted

DPS

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan:

I climbed this route in... 1999? We didn't bring any rack other than the standard pickets and screws for a glacier. It was pretty early season, thought. We did climb through the top rock step belayed by climbing down into the moat, but no gear.

It was a fun route up. Nothing more technical than, say, the north face of the north twin (i think this could have been early during a high snow year). We acsended into a whiteout, and by the time we reached the top of the Wilson glacier, we were in a complete whiteout. We sat for a while to see if things cleared, but the mountain is rounded enough there so we never could see anytthing but glacier. We descended back into the Wilson route, but that could have been tricky if we'd gone much farther. My advice: don't get to far past the top of the Wilson w/o a good plan for finding your way back into it.

We descended in whiteout/rain. It was a little nervy being in the Wilson with stuff sluoghing left and right (literally). I rememer the Kutz being a major squish hazard in the bottom quarter of the Wilson. Light feet makes quick work.

I'd also anticipate a fair amount of scrapnel if you do it in "warming" conditions.

Overall: I'd do it.

The Wilson Headwall could be worth climbing. In the area, I'd recommend the Kautz Headwall for a similar rockband-laced steep snow climb with more climbing and less objective hazard.

I know of at least five different people who've skied the Wilson Headwall, not that it matters.