[TR] Pilot Mountain - Have no Idea 5/9/2009

Trip: Pilot Mountain - Have no Idea

Date: 5/9/2009

Trip Report:

After the altercation with the hillbilly, we descended the 400 meter gully to the base of the crags. Once there, we found a "mountaineering group" that would make the mountaineers look like the most burly alpine climber. It was ridiculous.

We geared up and climbed some OW and a guy comes over and yells up to me that I "forgot to put your rope through the top first!" Holy shit. The climbing was fun; the company - not so much.

Met a nice French couple at the crag and they watched me take a pretty nice little 25 footer and since the afternoon thunderstorms were rolling in, we decided to retire to the scottish pub and get fat and drunk.

Not a destination crag but if you are ever in the area, definitely a place worth considering. (About 2 hours from Raleigh/Durham).

Gear Notes:

None of the routes are trad but there are some really stellar trad routes that had likely never (or rarely) been done before. Bring A full rack with some large stuff because there is some really fun OW climbing. Twins are great because there are many meandering routes.

Approach Notes:

Watch out for crazy Hillbillies. We passed one going literally 2 miles an hour and he met us as we were gearing up with his two daughters (4-6 y.o). He decided that he wanted to fight me. He ran when I pulled out my cell phone and pretended it was a tazer and told him I was gonna BBQ his nuts. Other than that, it was just a 400 meter gully decent 200 meters South of the parking lot.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Edited by akhalteke

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We geared up and climbed some OW and a guy comes over and yells up to me that I "forgot to put your rope through the top first!" Holy shit. The climbing was fun; the company - not so much.

These are the same people that ask you how you get the rope up there...

Any pics or am I to use my imagination?

i had a hillybilly pull a gun on me in shendoah national park a few years back :) the only time i ever found the digital compass on my watch truly useful!

Did he have a mullet?

no clue - i've found when people are waving pistols around at me, i don't tend to look at their hairdos much :)

i had a hillybilly pull a gun on me in shendoah national park a few years back :) the only time i ever found the digital compass on my watch truly useful!

Did he have a mullet?

no clue - i've found when people are waving pistols around at me, i don't tend to look at their hairdos much :)

If it happens enough to you, the opposite happens. You can remember every detail about the guy.

If it happens enough to you, the opposite happens. You can remember every detail about the guy.

no doubt - i hear this is even more the case when, as a result of them having their gun out, you put a large hole in them w/ yours :)

actually, come to think of it, i remember my guy just fine - the haggard 50 year old man beard stubble, the red flannel shirt w/ the orange vest, the wad of chew, the look of a dog shown a card trick when i tried my little joke to defuse the situation - the moral of the story: just because the park map shows your 15 mile trail to be a circuit-hike doesn't mean it doesn't just randomly cross private property for a quarter mile at the height of hunting season!