Mt. Adams Trip Camping

Jdoherty

Hi,

I'm planning on attemping my first summit on adams in mid june. I'am alittle confused about the camping cold spring or morrison? and is there ample room at these campgrounds in the summer if there are no reservations? Any info in general on camping for the south spur would be great.

Thanks In Advance, Justin

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing you might want to be aware of is that road up to Cold Springs might not be open in mid June. You can always park along the road but it would be a hell of a walk in to the TH. Be sure to call the Trout Lake ranger station to find out. Last year it still wasn't open even on the July 4th weekend. That campground is always crowded, especially on weekends, so get there early. Best bet is to climb mid-week to avoid the crowds. Even on a weekday there will be herds of people on that route. As far as I know, unless it has changed recently, there are no reservations. Camping is free and and on a first come, fist serve basis. Hope this helps.

Mankato has good advice but the extra walking may not be all that bad. I have been up there for a July 4th climb when we had to walk for Morrison Creek campground (I think that was the one - about 3-4 miles short of the end of the road) and with a little off-trail shortcut through the woods it didn't add much to our trip.

You won't have any trouble finding a place to throw out a tent at either Cold Springs or Morrison Creek that time of year (depending on how far you can get up the road). The camping is primitive and unregulated as far as I know.

Edited by scottk