[TR] FA of Jobo Rinjang, Nepal - 5/5/2009

Trip: FA of Jobo Rinjang, Nepal -

Date: 5/5/2009

Trip Report:

Hey all, David Gottlieb and I just had a fun adventure in the Himalaya of Nepal. We spent 40 days out and about, first on a cool acclimatization trek, then a climb of Kyajo Ri, then finally our efforts turned toward the unclimbed 6,778-meter Jobo Rinjang.

Check out a full account of our adventures on our Climb Nepal Blog. Here a few images from the Jobo Rinjang climb:

Approaching Jobo Rinjang:

IMG_0687.jpg

Our line up the south face:

IMG_0795_line.jpg

A couple shots of David climbing

DSCN1948.jpg

DSCN2065.jpg

On the summit:

DSCN2100.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, Thanks guys.

Wow :shock:. Nice work, that's out there. You weren't fearful of snow sloughing off/avalanches or cornices breaking off above you on that line ?

No, there was very little snow. It was a very dry winter in Nepal. Most of the peaks were showing tons of blue ice. Our climb of Kyajo Ri was all ice, when we expected mostly snow. Also, the cornices faced north. Rockfall was the major concern.

(From blog) descent was 20 raps, made by pulling rope directly through ice v-threads, plus downclimbing

Impressive LNT! I didn't know that method worked, but 20 raps sure is a lot of proof.

Yes it works with ropes that are maybe <8.5 mm. We had Sterling 8.4's, which worked great for this. I've tried it with 8.6's and it was tough, but it probably depends on the rope.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...